Noob needs help with Radeon 9800 driver

Guest Crazy_Sunshine

Guest Crazy_Sunshine

I just started using Linux a few days ago. I'm running Mandrake 2005 LE on a Dell OptiPlex GX-150.

I've gotten everything working, except the hardware 3d accelleration from my Radeon 9800 card. The hardware control center sees the card, and the display works fine with no artifacts or errors, but the 3d is unbearably slow (112 fps in glxgears!) and I can't figure out how to fix it. I've tried following the procedures at

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=25325

and

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...054&hl=flawless

including symlinking the source for my kernel, but I always run into an error when I try to "rpm -ivh --force" the driver:

error: Failed dependencies:
    libstdc++.so.5 is needed by fglrx_6_8_0-8.12.10-1
    libstdc++.so.5(CXXABI_1.2) is needed by fglrx_6_8_0-8.12.10-1
    libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2 is needed by fglrx_6_8_0-8.12.10-1

Where do I go from here? Help!

Guest Crazy_Sunshine

Ok... how do I go about doing that, exactly? I've googled around the net and everything I've found on installing those libraries has been beyond my current level of understanding. Also, something I did along the line has killed my sound card. I just hope installing those libraries and completing the Radeon setup sorts out the sound card, too. Thanks for getting back to me so fast!

Have you set up your urpmi mirrors? If not, visit: http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi

You need to set up for:

main

contrib

updates

jpackage

plf-free

plf-nonfree

This will allow you to ensure you're system is update using MandrakeUpdates, and also to install additional software (without hunting around the internet for it - although sometimes you do have to).

Once you do have these set up. Go into System/Configuration/Packaging/Install Software. You can then search for libstd, and it will list all the available ones. You'll need the one that relates to libstd++5 or similar naming.

Guest Crazy_Sunshine

I had the URPMI all set up, but I hadn't understood before what it did. Just to be sure, I reformatted and started again from a clean install. Got the URPMI in order again, found and installed the appropriate packages, and this time installing the driver with rpm -ivh --force worked fine - just two nice neat bars of "#" with no errors. I ran through fglrxconfig, making sure to get everything right for my monitor, rebooted, and the GUI came up fine.

However, my glxgears still reports a dismal 120 fps, and the sound card (which had been working fine after the reinstall) has gone out again. When I try to go into hardware configuration and mess around with the graphics card (in hopes of turning on hardware acceleration) KDE typically refuses to come back up on reboot and I have to run fglrxconfig again to get the GUI back up. Please help!

Are you running fglrxconfig as root? (su and root password before running it)?

It should normally run fine. Check /etc/X11/xorg.conf to make sure the following section is present:

Section "DRI"

Mode 0666

EndSection

Also, go into harddrake (System/Configuration/Hardware/Hard Drake), and run through the configuration of your video card here too. The driver selected should be ATI Radeon (fglrx) or similar. What monitor is selected in the config as well? This can have a factor as to what's happening.

Just make sure that in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file the correct driver is loaded

This is the part you should be looking for:

# === ATI device section ===

Section "Device"

Identifier "ATI Graphics Adapter"

Driver "fglrx"

Screen 0

BusID "PCI:1:0:0" # vendor=1002, device=4e50

Option "FSAAMSPosY1" "0.000000"

Option "StereoSyncEnable" "1"

See the option "Driver "fglrx"", that's the important part.

Guest Crazy_Sunshine

Ok, I tried setting my video card settings through the GUI hardware setup program like you suggested. Hardware acceleration is still off, and now I can't increase my desktop size beyond 1024x768 unless I want to scroll around the desktop by moving my cursor to the edges. What I have in xorg.conf right now is:

Section "Device"
   Identifier "device1"
   VendorName "ATI"
   BoardName "ATI Radeon (fglrx)"
   Driver "fglrx"
   Option "DPMS"

# === disable PnP Monitor  ===
   #Option                              "NoDDC"
   # === disable/enable XAA/DRI ===
   Option "no_accel"                   "no"
   Option "no_dri"                     "no"
   # === FireGL DDX driver module specific settings ===
   # === Screen Management ===
   Option "DesktopSetup"               "0x00000000" 
   Option "MonitorLayout"              "AUTO, AUTO"
   Option "IgnoreEDID"                 "off"
   Option "HSync2"                     "unspecified" 
   Option "VRefresh2"                  "unspecified" 
   Option "ScreenOverlap"              "0" 
   # === TV-out Management ===
   Option "NoTV"                       "yes"     
   Option "TVStandard"                 "NTSC-M"     
   Option "TVHSizeAdj"                 "0"     
   Option "TVVSizeAdj"                 "0"     
   Option "TVHPosAdj"                  "0"     
   Option "TVVPosAdj"                  "0"     
   Option "TVHStartAdj"                "0"     
   Option "TVColorAdj"                 "0"     
   Option "GammaCorrectionI"           "0x00000000"
   Option "GammaCorrectionII"          "0x00000000"
   # === OpenGL specific profiles/settings ===
   Option "Capabilities"               "0x00000000"
   # === Video Overlay for the Xv extension ===
   Option "VideoOverlay"               "on"
   # === OpenGL Overlay ===
   # Note: When OpenGL Overlay is enabled, Video Overlay
   #       will be disabled automatically
   Option "OpenGLOverlay"              "off"
   Option "CenterMode"                 "off"
   # === QBS Support ===
   Option "Stereo"                     "off"
   Option "StereoSyncEnable"           "1"
   # === Misc Options ===
   Option "UseFastTLS"                 "0"
   Option "BlockSignalsOnLock"         "on"
   Option "UseInternalAGPGART"         "no"
   Option "ForceGenericCPU"            "no"
   # === FSAA ===
   Option "FSAAScale"                  "1"
   Option "FSAADisableGamma"           "no"
   Option "FSAACustomizeMSPos"         "no"
   Option "FSAAMSPosX0"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosY0"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosX1"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosY1"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosX2"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosY2"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosX3"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosY3"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosX4"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosY4"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosX5"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosY5"                "0.000000"
EndSection

So, I think I have the right driver now, but something's not set up quite properly...

The scrolling problem will probably be due to the monitor you have selected. What one is it? If you can, set it to the one that is applicable for your monitor type. If there isn't one, then you'd probably have to choose the generic one, and set the refresh rate accordingly on what your monitor can support.

Guest Crazy_Sunshine

Ok, I've gotten the scrolling problem fixed. But the sound and the hardware 3d acceleration are still out. I'm stumped.

For sound, su and supply root password. Then type alsaconf, and configure the soundcard. Reboot, and you will have to use KMix to unmute the sound, and set the volumes.

To check on 3D/OpenGL, from the prompt type "glxinfo | grep direct" and report back.

For sound, su and supply root password.  Then type alsaconf, and configure the soundcard.  Reboot, and you will have to use KMix to unmute the sound, and set the volumes.

To check on 3D/OpenGL, from the prompt type "glxinfo | grep direct" and report back.

Chances are that you are going to recieve a vendor string of "mesa open gl" if this is the case and anyone can find an answer that's be much appreciated as I'm having the same symptoms, (basically that the driver is loading, but dri is off, and open gl is crap because it's not accessing the ATI opengl programming) and I haven't found a working solution yet.

Edited by hallowed

Normally, mesa is required, but because of the lack of dri, you get "Mesa Indirect" instead, which is really bad.

When direct rendering is working, because of the DRI section in xorg.conf, everything is OK, but you still need the mesa libraries for OpenGL anyway.

It's the direct rendering that's the main problem.

Normally, mesa is required, but because of the lack of dri, you get "Mesa Indirect" instead, which is really bad.

When direct rendering is working, because of the DRI section in xorg.conf, everything is OK, but you still need the mesa libraries for OpenGL anyway.

It's the direct rendering that's the main problem.

lol, Right, however I'm still left at the fact that the driver is loaded but direct rendering is not working (which is where I see this topic heading). any suggestions?

And the following section is in xorg.conf?

Section "DRI"

Mode 0666

EndSection

Also, check for a line, normally near the beginning which says load dri? Also, what version of xorg is running? I think if you're running LE2005, it'll be 6.8.0.

Edited by ianw1974