MDK LE - Thunderbird - Enigmail [solved]

Guest Jestre

Guest Jestre

I have just upgraded to Mandriva LE (downloadable edition), and I am trying to get Tbird working with Enigmail. I have installed the Tbird and mozilla-thunderbird-enigmail and -enigmime rpms, and there were no errors generated. When I go into the account settings section, I can configure Enigmail through the OpenPGP menu item, set ID, etc.

The problem arises after this. I have neither an Enigmail menu, e.g. File, Edit, etc nor an OpenPGP drop down (like the security dropdown for S/MIME).

Anyone have this working? Any ideas?

J

Make sure you have libgpgme and gnupg installed. It works fine for me.

< root /home/omar/tmp > rpm -qa | grep enig

mozilla-thunderbird-enigmime-1.0.2-3mdk

mozilla-thunderbird-enigmail-1.0.2-3mdk

< root /home/omar/tmp > rpm -qa | grep gpg

libgpg-error0-1.0-4mdk

libgpgme03_6-0.3.16-6mdk

libgpgme11-1.0.1-1mdk

< root /home/omar/tmp > rpm -qa | grep gnup

gnupg-1.4.0-4mdk

gnupg2-1.9.10-1mdk

Guest Jestre

Well, thanks for taking a shot at it, but that too was unsuccessful. I even removed all the packages, changed repositories, and reinstalled/reconfigured. gpg works great from mutt, and I can configure all aspects of enigmail (OpenPGP) through the accounts setting, just never get the important options of using it when composing a mail.

# rpm -qa | grep enig
mozilla-thunderbird-enigmime-1.0.2-2mdk
mozilla-thunderbird-enigmail-1.0.2-2mdk

[root@romulus ~]# rpm -qa | grep gpg
libgpgme11-1.0.1-1mdk
libgpg-error0-1.0-4mdk
libgpgme03_6-0.3.16-6mdk

[root@romulus ~]# rpm -qa | grep gnup
gnupg-1.4.0-4mdk
gnupg2-1.9.10-1mdk

I did notice, however, that you have version 1.0.2-3 of enigmime and enigmail, whereas I have the -2 version. Which repository did you get the -3 versions out of? Is your thunderbird also -3?

Heh. I actually think I got mine from a Cooker source and yes, thunderbird is also -3. You can try updating to it by temporarily adding a Cooker source to urpmi and then

urpmi mozilla-thunderbird

so it can install all the dependencies as well and afterwards removing your Cooker source. Cooker is not for the faint of heart and mixing Cooker and Official pkgs like I do can be disastrous, as a warning.

If you run mozilla-thunderbird from a console, do you see any error messages in the console you run it from as it is launching?

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Guest Jestre
If you run mozilla-thunderbird from a console, do you see any error messages in the console you run it from as it is launching?

I will try a cooker version.

As for the regular version, if I run it from a shell prompt as myself, there are no errors or other messages displayed, however...

Running it from another user (root in this case as that's the only other user on my laptop), the following sequence of events occurs (as they did now that I remember the first time I ran it as myself after installing MDKLE).

1) Start it:

[root@romulus ~]# mozilla-thunderbird
Registering Enigmail account manager extension.
Enigmail account manager extension registered.

2) At this point, tbird opens and asks if I want to import other data (or none in this case). When I click 'Next', I get the following message (see attachment):

(paraphrasing) Disabling old extensions

Now, since I've not installed tbird on this laptop before, there are no 'old' extensions other than, possibly, Enigmail itself.

3) When I click 'Okay' and continue, a second set of messages pops up in console so that I now have the following:

[root@romulus ~]# mozilla-thunderbird

4) From this point on, I am able to configure tbird as per usual. I also have the OpenPGP options under Accounts, and I enable it for the current account, etc etc... My keys are available:

$ gpg -K
/home/sws/.gnupg/secring.gpg
---------------------------------
sec   1024D/601CB97C 1998-04-15
uid                  S. William S <sws@domain>

5) Consider me stumped

Thanks for the help Steve!

J

post-11556-1118145501_thumb.jpg

Guest Jestre

Just as a followup to this, I added a cooker repository and installed the 1.0.2-3 rpm's from there, yet the problem was not resolved.

As an imperfect, but functioning solution, I installed libstdc++5 and installed the Mozilla built Tbird and Enigmail. Everything is now working perfectly.

I still have no idea why the Mandriva rpm's wouldn't work.

Thanks for the assistance.

J