Dial-up so slow

Helmut

Hi Folks,

I have SE2005 and an external 56K ELSA Dial-up modem on a modern PC.

I regularly get a 48kb dial-up connection, but my Box my box makes an average of around 3kb/s, with very few peaks of up to 12kb/s. On both transmit and receive. The modem settings in kppp seem to be correct, the speed too. On Windoze it gets more than twice that speed. Where should I look now?

Thanks,

Helmut

Edited by Helmut

When I used a modem (albeit under Windows), I always had download rates of 4kb/s and upload of 2kb/s. Never had anything more than this! I think it's the max speed you can achieve.

For upload, I don't know (I never upload so much as I download).

But for download, 4kB/s is definitely not the max, as I usually have 5kB/s as a minimum, and sometimes 5.5 or more rarely peaks at 6kB/s for compressed data. The peak is 13kB/s for text data (HTML and the like), thanks to automatic de/compression by the ppp server and the modem.

Yves.

The max. speed of the modem is 56 kilobits per second which equal 7 kilobytes per second, and which should be your maximum download speed.

Of course this speed is not reachable all the time due to various reasons- mainly noise at a non-digital phone line, and traffic shaping problems.

Ask your phone company to test the quality of your phone signal.

Edited by scarecrow

You can get them to increase what they call the "gain level", this helps improve the quality, and sometimes, they don't like to do this, since it makes your connection better. You can ask it to be raised to it's maximum if you're experiencing problems, and reluctantly, they will do it.

Although, this may be just related to a specific English telecoms company.

Thanks Folks!

I recall BT adjusting the gain while installing ISDN (and a BT-labeled box with an external power-supply onto the wall) at a home in the UK. They dont let you look into their cards at all in here in Germany...

Right now at this instant, KPPP-Statisics says:" 0.0 (max.12.0) kb/s " Is that bits or bytes?

Btw ianw 1974: Did we meet in the Burrito place behind Wilkinsons in Canterbury?

regards and thanks,

Helmut

Edited by Helmut