Slow URL Lookups [solved]

Darren

Hello, (Hope this was the correct place to post)

I've just installed Mandriva LE 2005 and although my internet connection is working, after I type the URL of a site and then hit enter all the browsers wait for ages doing the lookup before finally loading the page.

Once the lookup is done the connection works fine. and its only external pages that are slow as the Router login page loads instantly.

Downloads are also slow to begin and Kopete cant seem to connect to MSN Messenger....Its not my ISP as it works ok in Windows.

I am connected via a Wired LAN/Dlink DSL 504 although my settings are correct and the DNS servers are shown correctly in "Configure your computer"

Anyone know what I've missed.....?

Thanks for any help

Edited by Darren

What does it say in your /etc/resolv.conf? Does it just list your DNS servers?

If you have a search line before the DNS Servers, this could be why. Place a "#" in front of it, so that you only have the DNS Servers listed. See how that performs?

Also, check your /etc/nsswitch.conf. There is a line in here that says something along the lines of:

hosts: files nisplus nis dns wins

It's normally best in that order, so if different, match as above.

For Kopete, I have the same prob. I use GAIM instead.

Edited by ianw1974

What does it say in your /etc/resolv.conf?  Does it just list your DNS servers?

Yep,

nameserver 192.168.0.1

nameserver 212.159.13.50

Which is correct for my network/ISP

Also, check your /etc/nsswitch.conf.  There is a line in here that says something along the lines of:

hosts: files nisplus nis dns wins

Yep, shows as you've got it above

Just tried Gaim...thats managed to connect, although slow because of problem above

Edited by Darren

The first DNS is:

This is your local ADSL router I presume? You may want to just place a # in front of this and see if the prob still occurs.

Check the config on the ADSL router to see if it has the DNS Servers detected correctly, as it could be failing at this point.

I don't know if you can comment out the first DNS router, you have to actualy change the address and comment out the second one, but I'm sure that is the problem. With I think 10.0, the default network setup was switched to use your router as the first DNS, and it's stupid, but easily fixed.

Does your ISP provide two DNS Servers? If so, set them both so that they are the ISP ones rather than your router.

It seems that DNS proxy isn't enabled for your router, or the DNS entries are a little strange. Did you check the config on the router? Are you using DHCP assigned IP or static? This would explain why it changed back to 192.168.0.1 again.

Configure your network card so that it has a static IP, with two DNS servers from your ISP, and the gateway as 192.168.0.1 and you should be fine.

Alternatively, if you want to stick with DHCP, you'll need to change the way your router works. Make sure the DNS Servers provided by your ISP are configured on the router, and if the option is there, enable DNS Proxy (although not all routers have this, just adding DNS solves it). What this does is utilise the router as the DNS Server, which then passes the request to your ISP's DNS Servers. But it all needs to be configured correctly on the router. Normally, the router should pick up two DNS servers along with it's IP when it connects to the internet. Unless it's all static provided, but some ISP's have DHCP with static IP's (recognising your MAC address).

The simpler, is use static on the network card, than DHCP.

Edited by ianw1974

I've set all 3 DNS servers now that the ISP provides and its solved the problem (havent tried a reboot yet)

Strange that only Mandrake has picked up that, prevously I've used various versions of Windows and Suse with that router and they've worked no probs