Nexuiz: a GPL multiplayer shooter UT/Quake style

papaschtroumpf

I haven't checked it out yet, but this looks promising, especially given the limited amount of choices in games for Linux. Nice to see GPL and cross-platform!

from http://www.nexuiz.com/index.php

Nexuiz has been in development for 3.5 years by a team of amateur developers lead by Lee Vermeulen. It is a 3d deathmatch game made entirely over the internet. The purpose of the game is to bring deathmatch back to the basics, with perfect weapon balancing and fast paced action, keeping itself away from the current trend of realistic shooters. It uses HFX textures by Evil Lair, and currently has 17 maps to frag in. With an advanced UI, the user can select between 15 different player models to use, with an average of two skins for each, and can connect to our master server to play people from all over the world.

The game's content and source are GPL. Meaning, it is entirely free and any of it can be used in other free projects, even if modified. This is a first for any large game project of its type. We hope this will support the free game community, and encourage more GPL projects.

Nexuiz is based on the Darkplaces engine. The darkplaces engine is an advanced Quake1 engine developed mainly by Forest "LordHavoc" Hale, who has been working with the Quake1 engine for many years. A few of Darkplaces main features are Quake3bsp support, realtime lighting and shadowing, new particle effects, advanced menu system, and Md3/Md2 model support. Because Nexuiz is based on the Quake1 engine, its source code along with its content is entirely GPL. Nexuiz will also use the Quake1 game code language, called QuakeC, which makes modding the gameplay of the game extremely easy. This gamecode will be included with the release, and will allow anyone to mod it, and because it is entirely serverside you can use it on your servers even if the clients do not have your mod.

15a.jpg

12a.jpg

Horrible netcode, I was getting over 200 ping on an Australian server whereas any other game, would be under 100.

Poorly written, With every single graphics option turned off, and res as low as it would go, I still had a shoddy FPS averaging 7. Sure, I have integrated graphics, but I can run Enemy Territory at 800x600, with medium graphics comfortably, and I can tell you, this doesnt scratch ET in any way shape or form.

Sound, bland.

It's YAFPS. Yet Another FPS, nothing new or interesting to see here, just someone taking an old engine, throwing a pile of lighting effects in and completely retarding it. Nothing remotely inventive in this game, nothing innovative, nothing really to see here.

I'm down on games at the moment, theres nothing new or innovative coming out, everything is just a rehash of something else, except maybe Spore, that looked interesting.

iphitus

Edited by iphitus

I loved quake 1 so..this kind of rejoins me more :P

though I'm impressed at their lighting effects, it seems badly written (I have a Geforce 5200 128 Mb...I should be able to run at least Dynamic lighting....but no) lags too much.

but anyway, this is one good game if you like the Quake 1 type. Nothing new but always fun to play :)

Tried it, If the game would run ok on my system I would actually play it. Netcode needs work and I get horrible performance. I can run all the newer games with no problem "UT2004", Nexuiz on the other hand just runs like crap on my system, even with low effects. They should tell the truth about system requirments. This game should still be beta. Needs work.

Dakota