Cpufreq modules fail to unload

chocobanana

I used to have problems with it loading, since my processor didn't support it. In a nutshell, it allows the speed to be altered based on running from battery or mains, plus some other stuff too.

If you're not worried about this, cpqfreq can be disabled in Services, just by removing the check mark against it so that it doesn't start "On Boot".

Is there any other info with the error message other than it fails to unload?

What version of MDK/MDV are you running? Is it up-to-date using the urpmi repositories?

I get this also on shutdown - big glaring red capital letters "FAILED" - I'm running 2005LE on a Pentium M 1.6.

When it's running, it seems to be running, so I kinda guessed it was ok that it was failing to be unloaded... maybe the order of unloading is wrong? </wildguess>

Here's an example from /var/log/boot.log :

cpufreqd: cpufreqd shutdown succeeded

cpufreq: Unloading cpufreq modules :

cpufreq: failed

cpufreq: ^[[65G

cpufreq: [^[[1:31m

cpufreq:

rc: Stopping cpufreq: failed

Nothing else looks relevant, nothing else to do with cpufreq and nothing else failed.

At shutdown, the text which appears on screen is:

Stopping cpufreq: Unloading cpufreq modules : [FAILED]

[FAILED]

with the [FAILED] a scary-looking red colour (where all the other messages are a nice green [OK].)

It was kind of similar to mine, although mine failed to load on startup. I only presume because my processor isn't scalable in terms of it's cpu speed.

I just disabled it completely, and not used it. For me this is OK, but as you guys are wanting to use it, this isn't an option for you.

I'm not sure what else to suggest. If your system cleanly shuts down, but just reports this error, and it doesn't have an adverse effect on your system, you could ignore the error (although I know it's nice not to have the error message at all).

Hopefully, someone else might be able to provide a solution to clearing the error message, so that you don't get it at all. I'm just not sure how!