xorg.conf is missing modeline [solved]

crundle

why do i mess with things?

a friend came over and changed my display settings on 10.2, and now i start up and it goes to a command line prompt. when i try 'startx', it says i have an error on line 53 of my xorg.conf file. looking at it in vi, I find that i dont have any data in the line Modeline.

the settings i had previously were for a geforce2 ddr generic, set at 1024 x 768.

i have found a calculator online that says it can work out what numbers to put in there, but is there an easier way for me to do this, like use the mandrake 10.2 cd to update, and change it that way? i have tried it a bit, but it still kept coming up with an error that said to try and change my settings until the error disappeared.

sorry i dont have the errors on me, but i can only get my windows partition going atm, so they are lost for now while im online.

any help would be appreciated.

btw, i did make a backup in mandrake of all my settings, so is there achance it might be available in there?

cheers

crundle (who should change the root password to a random number so he can't get into it to mess up a good working configuration!)

:)

[moved from Art & Design by spinynorman]

I think I would recommend you boot up, login as root, and, if the desktop used to be your default boot up runlevel, change to runlevel 3, first:

init 3

then, start the X configuration program:

XFdrake --expert

You can set the values for your card, monitor, resolution and I would expect the xorg.conf file to get written with the correct modeline. When that is done, try going to the desktop with

init 5

thanks, I will give that a try. I just saw I was in the wrong forum also, my apologies.

i have tried using XFdrake (not on expert settings though) and when i did the test, it kept giving me the two errors below, no matter what configuration i have tried.

just for some more information, the video card is detected as Nvidia GEForce2 DDR Generic, the monitor is 1024 x 768 @ 60, the res is 1024 x 768 @24bpp, and when I go to test the configuration, i get the message;

error occured

(EE) problem parsing config file

(EE) error parsing config file

startx gives;

parse error on line 54 of section monitor in file etc/X11/xorg.conf

expecting ModeLine identifier

no screens found

I will try your suggestion, and come back later after pulling some more hair out!!

Crundle

Edited by crundle

I wouldn't expect --expert to make that kind of a difference. Maybe move xorg.conf somewhere else (mv) so that the whole file gets re-written. I am inferring that will happen from the top of the file:

# File generated by XFdrake.

but can't guarantee, so don't erase the original.

yep, i made a copy of the xorg.conf file after it was broken, so i have several options. i found a calculator for nvidia that should give me the line to enter in ModeLine, and failing that, i will delete the xorg.conf file and see if that will allow another one to be written by XFdrake. thanks for the advice, its a bugger trying to come from a windows background to linux, but i'm slowly getting there, making LOTS of mistakes on the way - the only way to learn i think.

cheers,

crundle

ok, I fixed it by blowing away my xorg.conf file and then running XFdrake. it built a new one for me and now i can see my monitor working.

thanks for all the help with getting this going again, its appreciated.

crundle

:wall: