bittorrent client for Mandriva

mada726

Hi,

I wanted to know that if there's a bittorrent client program for Mandriva Linux you would highly recommend. The reason that I'm asking this is that I want to download things using bittorrent. I hope that you people will able to provide me a solution. I'm still a Mandriva n00b and I'm trying to get my "teeth" into this operating system along with my dual-booting habits with Windoze XP Pro with SP2. I hope this helps.

The original bittorrent client is fine (just urpmi bittorrent as root in a terminal or search for bittorrent in the Mandriva Control Centre), though doesn't have as many features as Bit Tornado (urpmi BitTornado or again search the MCC) or Azureus. I like Azureus - it has lots of features, stats and tweaks available, but it is rather bloated and has the most noticeable effect on connection speed IMO. It also requires you to have Java installed on your computer (no big problem and not a bad idea anyway).

There is a rpm available for Azureus (just google azureus mdk rpm - its from mandrakeclub.nl) but its an older version and it'll bug you to upgrade. You can of course just get the latest version off the site and install (its a doddle) - its better to use a rpm if you can.

Oh and welcome fellow noob! :)

edit: Oh worth looking at BitTornado (many people seem to rate it) - just the rpm buggers up on my system (starts telling me about .gif image errors?!?!)

Edited by foot

Azureus is pretty good, I like it a bit more that the original anyway. I've also been using ctorrent - a CLI client, which is nice cus I can run it with screen and ssh in from anywhere and check on it.

I use the original and classic bittorrent. its good because it's the first with any new features and improvements to the bittorrent protocol. and it's CLI so it works good on my server via ssh.

It's CLI? The one I downloaded is GUI... hmmm.... guess I will have to investigate. I would have never used ctorrent if I'd known there was an original CLI client.

I use the original and classic bittorrent. its good because it's the first with any new features and improvements to the bittorrent protocol. and it's CLI so it works good on my server via ssh.

It's CLI? The one I downloaded is GUI... hmmm.... guess I will have to investigate. I would have never used ctorrent if I'd known there was an original CLI client.

there are actually a few version of the command line in the original package. I use the curses based one with ssh and screen:

screen btdownloadcurses.py --display_interval 5 --max_upload_rate 25 --url <url to the .torrent file>

Edit: see my howto in the Tips&Tricks forum: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...7941&hl=torrent

Edited by papaschtroumpf

Soulse, it includes three:

btdownloadgui.py The gui

btdownloadheadless.py jus spits output of how far the torrent is done, over and over,

btdownloadcurses.py the cli sorta window.

I wouldnt use ctorrent, its ridiculously old now and doesnt include some of the new features that the mainline has, such as trackerless torrents, which even helps with regular torrents, torrents startup and reach a decent download speed *much* quicker.

Edited by iphitus

Azureus is good, the only problem is that it keeps on bugging you to update, and then the updates break the programme :screwy: The best way to upgrade is just to install the newest version - so you might as well do that at the beginning, rather than go from an old rpm.

Azureus is good, the only problem is that it keeps on bugging you to update, and then the updates break the programme  :screwy:  The best way to upgrade is just to install the newest version - so you might as well do that at the beginning, rather than go from an old rpm.

It did the same on my ibook with the OSX version!

Azureus is good, the only problem is that it keeps on bugging you to update, and then the updates break the programme  :screwy:  The best way to upgrade is just to install the newest version - so you might as well do that at the beginning, rather than go from an old rpm.

I think you can switch off the update thing in options.

Azureus - It's the only one that I've found that allows you to track RSS feeds.

I use my desktop as sort of a PVR. I really don't have much time to watch TV, but there are a few shows that I enjoy, so I use the RSS feed tracker plugin to automate the download process wk to wk and then watch the episodes when I have time. So I can ignore "Lost" for 3 wks then, when I have a few hours to kill, I just open the file, and they're there waiting.