a simple way to import Windows fonts [solved]

coverup

9.2 made importing Windows fonts as simple as a pressing a button and making a couple of clicks. In 10.1, the button "Import Windows fonts" is no longer there. Instead, I am suggested to double click each and every font - a questionable improvement in my view... Is there a simple way to import all fonts at once?

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

KDE has a font installer. Open the kde control center, system management, font installer. (or just copy your fonts to /home/your name/.font ( a hidden folder))

But I see what you mean in the MCC. I says select font or folder but when you select the folder it doesn't work. Strange.

-create a .fonts directory in your home directory and copy and paste them into it

-restart the X server (which isn't necessary for a lot of apps now)

Thanks guys. I would like to install fonts systemwise, so that all users could use them. Where should that dir go then?

Why did MDK remove that feature? Back in 6.x and 7.x fonts were a pain to install, you had to do all by hand. Starting from 8.x, MCC had this button. And now it's gone again :cheeky:.

syswide=/usr/share/fonts

Probably removed it because it so east to do now, why waste time/devel?

Hmm, I found that on my 9.2 laptop, MCC put Windows fonts to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont/ttf/. So, do you reckon that if I copy the fonts accros to /usr/share/fonts, X will find them anywhere? Shouldn't I add the dir to /etc/X11/fs/config? And what about fonts.dir, how will that file be created?

The change in importing windows fonts has irritated me, too, but you don't have to add each one by one. IIRC, in the add font dialog, navigate to Fonts/ in windows, select the first font in the list, hold down Shift and select the last font, which selects all the fonts, then add. Something like that.

syswide=/usr/share/fonts

Probably removed it because it so east to do now, why waste time/devel?

Hmm, I found that on my 9.2 laptop, MCC put Windows fonts to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont/ttf/. So, do you reckon that if I copy the fonts accros to /usr/share/fonts, X will find them anywhere? Shouldn't I add the dir to /etc/X11/fs/config? And what about fonts.dir, how will that file be created?

last I checked X knew about /usr/share/fonts by default even though it's empty

yes, you can put them anywhere as long as you tell X where they are

I don't recall the specifics on the other files created, but I believe X will create those now and you don't have to do anything other than copy them over. It works for me and I'm not creating anything, just copying. Copying and pasting is far easier and faster than drakfont, but then, you would have to know where to copy them to....that's the problem.