My Thoughts on MDV LE2005

I have reinstalled on a new machine and the mouse/graphics tablet problem has gone (on the second install, it would not work from boot on the first). The first install was very basic (only installed default setting apps). On the second install I selected and deselected a whole host of apps but also, and I have a feeling this is what actually solved it, I disconnected my ps2 mouse.

The menu problem is a pain in the arse, and still exists, when I try to adjust the menu using menudrake it will either not add entries or remove the entire menu and refuse to bring it back (if I reboot it returns) I also noticed the other day that the menu disappeared for apparently no reason - or more accurately I could not see the reason.

usb memory devices seem to get recognised sometimes but not others (again I do not know why).

All told, these are minor niggles and the general feel and look is nice, however this is the first release where the niggles have made me try a different distro.

Leo

I've been wondering for some while if I should move to Mandriva. Installing 10.0 and then 10.1 was straightforward. Founts ("fonts" in Yankese) were much easier to copy from Windows into 10.0, though I may well have been stupid when I did it in 10.1. Applications were easy to install in 10.1 and now run without trouble, although for some reason I haven't been able to install Koffice (which I don't really need but wanted to look at).

My chief difficulty has been that my scanner, a Umax Astra Slim 600, has not run with any version of Mandrake. The Umax people don't answer, and their site seems not to know of anything called Linux. It is a USB device, and what I have read here about USB is discouraging.

Thanks, Devries. I trust you are well. I did look in Sane some months back, but my Astraslim model was not to be found. In the link you give, the word "unsupported" terrifies me. But I don't think you'd set me running after wild geese, and maybe the thing has been added.

The menu problem is a pain in the arse, and still exists, when I try to adjust the menu using menudrake it will either not add entries or remove the entire menu and refuse to bring it back (if I reboot it returns) I also noticed the other day that the menu disappeared for apparently no reason - or more accurately I could not see the reason.

I second that.

I suspect the menu disappears sometimes if you uninstall some app that is in it, but it doesn't always happen. The menu editor is quite useless, you can't actually predict whether you achieve the desired result or not.

Guest Adriano1

Ditto for me. Sometimes the menu disappears (i see just a tiny rectangle appear) when updating or installing applications. This has been a bug for so long (even after they supposedly fixed it)...

I get the menu problem intermittently, although I have this with 10.1 as well. Sometimes it updates, sometimes it doesn't unless I run menudrake and then save it, or log out/reboot. Usually, running menudrake is OK with me, and then it's up-to-date.

Never had it disappear totally on me though! :P

I get the menu problem intermittently, [..] Sometimes it updates, sometimes it doesn't unless I run menudrake and then save it, or log out/reboot.

Sounds like mine now, although the only reason is because I have learnt never to attept to amend the menu using menudrake. RPMs seem to update the menu without any problem so I guess there must be a way to do it :D

Leo

Sounds like mine now, although the only reason is because I have learnt never to attept to amend the menu using menudrake. RPMs seem to update the menu without any problem so I guess there must be a way to do it :D

I usually have the probs with installing rpms! Sometimes they're OK, sometimes not. Is weird. Either it should work, or not. But, logging out, or menudrake and saving seems to do it, as you say little pain in the neck for something that should work :P

Does anyone know whether there are going to be any 2006 beta's ? - thought there was one coming out at the end of June? - think the final release is on Aug 15th ish, but just wondering about any betas before then.

Thanks.

Edited by Rainer