Windows wipes the floor with linux

I_NEED_HELP

According to this article windows is wiping the floor with linux in the server market. But dont the majority of websites use apache as a server. And i know there is a windows version of apache but it is not recommended for deployable systems.

What are your thoughts?

Its latest quarterly server survey found that income from sales of Microsoft Windows servers even matched enterprise Unix server revenues.

It seems that their data is referring to "revenue" superiority. This should come as no surprise. (Although I am kind of surprised that the author of this article would use an obviously negative aspect such as this as a bragging point). With the cost of MS server/software as high as it is, it could sell 1/3 the unit count, and still come out with a revenue edge.

To his credit, though, the author made note that MS unit increase was 10.7% versus Linux's 31.1%, even tho he tried to gloss over it.

Anyway, the author's bent was pretty obvious in this line

So if IDC is to be believed, the world's favourite open source OS is destined to remain a niche product serving Web pages for the time being, while Microsoft makes hay with its core product

TBH, it wouldn't surprise me. MS make sure that any pro-stats that it can find or generate are quickly rammed down everyone's throats. Just have a look at Newsforge or Linux Today. Big FO MS adverts - Linux Today even has a 'Linux Resource Centre' (sponsored by Microsoft) which recounts all the latest pro-MS stuff...its verging on sickening.

Desperately trying not to be anti-MS, but when their methods are so brazen, it gets difficult.

i read the same article and laughed. now read this http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2137317/...rver-sales-boom just as a comparison

So I think the open source community should start publishing fluff pieces and FUD. Microsoft has to pay marketers to do it for them, imagine if the whole open source community made a concerted effort in the FUD department...

microsoft has market lead in server side big deal.

it also has market lead in home users too!

but linux has microsoft running to the advertisers big time.

linux is gradually taking market share and will continue to do so.

slowly eroding microsofts market share.

quite a few isp's now run linux (i know my isp does) and it is very reliable.

this kind of thing gets talked about amongst the isp's and it won't be long before they all run linux.

same with business servers, those business's that try linux and it works reliably for them will pass that on to others.

it may take a good few years but eventually microsofts market share will drop (as will its income) and this is why microsoft is advertising so heavily now, and spreading its f.u.d. (fear, uncertainty, and doubt).

i really do get the feeling that microsoft is actually scared of this competition because it can't buy it!!!

patience is a virtue, just be patient and you will see microsoft taken down a peg or three

as its market share and finances decline.

and all these legal battles are costing microsoft too keep them going and it all helps.

regards

reb

Here in Europe i seem to remeber reading something about them having till july this year to open up there technologies. If they dont do it to the satisfaction of the mediator, they will be fined 5% of there gross profit, roughly 5 million dollars a day untill they do open up the technologies.

Now thats got to hurt, even a company like microsoft.

p.s. not sure if i got all the details right couldnt find the article.

Here in Europe i seem to remeber reading something about them having till july this year to open up there technologies.  If they dont do it to the satisfaction of the mediator, they will be fined 5% of there gross profit, roughly 5 million dollars a day untill they do open up the technologies.

Now thats got to hurt, even a company like microsoft.

p.s. not sure if i got all the details right couldnt find the article.

That's only releasing full API docs. Currently they holding back some things (at least they roumored), so only MS products can fully work together with MS servers.

They not opening up any technology. The are patenting everything they can.

Oh and there's the windows without media player, which they still didn't release AFAIK.

The story here is the same one that's been known in the business for years; Microsoft and Linux are eating up legacy Unix installations at a fast pace, Linux slightly more than Windows. That's where the action is. Things will get interesting once all the low-hanging fruit - old proprietary Unix setups that need replacing - is gone...

IIRC ever since sco, unix has been on the down swing and linux has been said to be gaining on unix. the articles comparing M$ gaining to unix, i thought was amusing in this light, since unix is/was on the down swing. M$ comparing themselves to someone loosing ground.....

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialne...d=apn_tech_down

http://www.serverwatch.com/news/article.php/2215611

Overall, the Unix market declined 12.9 percent to $4.3 billion from 1Q03. IDC attributes this to a decline in average sales prices, especially for midrange and high-end enterprise Unix server systems.

"The intense price competition between the top three Unix server vendors continues to make the No. 1 position in the Unix server market -- including Unix servers based on RISC and on x86 architectures -- difficult to predict," said Jean S. Bozman, research vice president of Global Enterprise Server Solutions at IDC. "This quarter, HP appears to have leveraged its merger with Compaq to pull even with Sun for leadership of the worldwide Unix server market. However, IDC expects that the leading vendors will continue to compete for market leadership in coming quarters."

The rapidly growing Linux server market increased 35 percent to $583 million from the year-ago quarter. "Unit growth and factory revenue in the Linux market continue to climb, driven by increasing functionality for Linux server hardware and software and by intense competition between all the major server vendors," said Bozman. "While HP continues to lead the Linux market, Dell and IBM are working hard to post market share gains in the Linux server market."

just some observations that i made about the original article.

Where I'm from I have only ever encountered one Windows server. They were using it at the radio station I used to work at and I offered to provide a Linux solution that would work better and they agreed and that was the end of that. Every other company I have worked at, university I have studied at or client I have worked with have all used Linux servers.

But then this is a very Linux-friendly country :cheesy: