Upgrade 10.0 > 2005

Guest wawalker

Guest wawalker

Can anyone give me some tips how to upgrade 10.0 Community[?] to 2005LE from a source on the web. I am trying to avoid having to download the ISO images and doing and clean install.

Can I 'jump' from 10.0 to 2005 or do I have to progress through 10.1 and 10.2?

Does apt and Synaptic work on Mandrake?

Yes, I am a newbie but I have been using Fedora Core for almost a year and a half on another machine.

simply change to/add the 2005 ftp-mirrors using the easyurpmi-tool (link on top of page). then boot into the cli as root (not good doing it from an x-environment imho), then run "urpmi --auto --auto-select" and wait until all packages are updated. it should usually work.

good luck. :)

Do not use --auto for this kind of large upgrade. It may well do something wrong. --auto is for unattended operations and should really only be used when you can be very confident it won't do anything silly - i.e., I'd only use it for installing security updates regularly, I wouldn't use it on Cooker or for upgrading between releases. You should rather do:

urpmi --auto-select -v

And pay close attention to any questions it asks, problems it reports, and information it gives you. Then do:

urpmi kernel

Because --auto-select doesn't upgrade the kernel. Finally, once it's finished, as root:

updatedb

slocate rpmnew

inspect all the .rpmnew files, compare them to the originals, and merge as appropriate. Oh, and you will also want to check that you are properly migrated from udev to devfs - make sure the udev package is installed, the udev service is enabled, and /etc/lilo.conf contains no instances of 'devfs=mount'. Oh, and make sure gnome-volume-manager is installed, or automounting won't work.

• 3 weeks later...

Newbie? Welcome, me too... I'm a years-long newbie, it means, an average-desktop-user fed up of Crapintosh and Windoze. Hope my experience as end-user is useful to you.

1. Murphy (the one of the so-called laws) and adamw are right: if it isn't broken, don't fix it. I mean, if your Lnx box gives you all (or the most) you _really_ need to work, leave it as is. Very frequently, we the newbies mess all up just because we want a new Windoze or Crapintosh-like eyecandy (KDE 3.3 sound scheme is wonderful, btw). Once solved the bugs in 2.4 kernels, you'd better stick to your Mdk distro, which may run on a very realiable and versatile 2.6 kernel. If it doesn't, keep reading.

2. The most _apparently_ friendly way for an average-desktop-end-user (everything is done from the graphic environment tools) is to add the 2005LE sources in MDK Control Panel, and in "Install software" option you'll get all you need to upgrade. I began upgrading KDE to 3.3 (otherwise process was aborted by inconsistent dependecies), then the rest. I recommend you to stop afer upgrading your preferred desktop environment or window manager, and installing the latest bugfixes...

In my case, I didn't obbey Murphy and it was all messed up until I restarted session, afterwards, some icons (and entries in more than a case) were lost in the KMenu, and some apps were removed and not-always substituted (ie, I can't control my CUPS from web-browser anymore; Mozilla was kicked off by Firefox... But my by-hand-installed Netscape was fixed). That was yesterday, and today I found the PC didn't shut down (X server kept alive all-night long), the restart got frozen and I had to boot Windoze to open this forum and find some workarounds.

3. The _real_ friendly way is to download and burn/floppysave an installation boot image, or burn the installation ISO images (I prefer the little-CD-ROM "boot.iso" for ftp installation) and startup your PC from disk, then select "upgrade". The process goes much smoother, be using CD-ROMS (much faster) or FTP (sometimes very slow). I stopped burning CD-ISO's when I found that my drawer was topped with Lnx distros, and don't trust floppies since a lot of installation attempts got miserabily stalled by read-errors.

4. As a five-year-long Mdk user (since 8.1?), I recommend you to make a fresh install; you'll avoid a lot of head-sratching, unless you have a good bounch of third-party plug-ins, add-ons, not-mdk-specific apps (count here your Wine and Windoze apps), patches (see the one I got for K3b) and weird customizations (ie, very personalized mount points for Windoze, SMB and removable partitions/discs/filesystems).

5. Evenso, you may preserve a variable amount of these customizations if you choose "fresh install" without reformatting and let the installer to overwrite files with newer versions. You'll get some fragmentation, but nothing that drops performance. Almost certainly, you'll loose patches for a lot of standalone binaries, ie, cdrecord, so backup the most you can. Be prepared for some mess after restart.

6. Again: think twice and trice and better leave it as is, and if you insist (or really _need_ to, ie, upgrading to 2.6+ kernel), make a fresh install, Lnx partitions reformating included.

Edited by tlahtopil

Guest shiwlof

Hi there,

I am using 10.1 Official and I wanted to know if the same process would work for upgrading to 2005SE...

I am knocking my 10.1 box on the work network tonight. :D

Get some nice fast speeds going, and download all the apps I need, and get the system running the way I want it to.

Edited by shiwlof

Yeah, it'll work, I went from 10.1 to LE2005 without any probs on one of my machines. I removed all sources first though by:

urpmi.removemedia -a

so that there is nothing listed, and then added the 2005 mirrors for main, contrib, jpackage, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree (since some updates may/will require these).

Then after that, I just did urpmi --auto-select --auto as previously mentioned here. All upgraded, and after that, there are a few more steps.

First, install the kernel 2.6.11-6, as LE2005 needs this, and can get issues with remaining on 2.6.8 kernel. Then after this suggest you do the following as root (su and supply root password):

updatedb

slocate rpmnew

you'll prob need to replace a few of these files, but never replace group.conf with group.conf.rpmnew else you'll have probs! I did it once, but lucky I had a copy taken before I did it. Mostly, they will be related to kdmrc.conf, kdeglobals.conf, nsswitch.conf and a few others.

Hope that helps!

Guest shiwlof

Thanks,

Will give it a shot tonight, and let you know how it went...

Hope all goes well, but luckily I'm not too concerned with a reinstall. But I want to know that I can do it. And if push comes to shove, I'll reinstall with Mandriva.

Guest shiwlof

So it didn't quite happen.... :o

Got the PC setup on the network perfectly, got IP from our DHCP server, got connection... and then.... bang! The proxy server fell over...

I sat with a perfect connection on our local network, but I was blind to the outside world... such is life. :P

But I'll give it a shot again over the weekend at some point, this time I'll just DL the DVD image of Mandriva and do a fresh install.

But thanks for the help, I am sure it would have worked.

One thing I did try last night, was too install LinEAK, I'm suspecting that I am doing something really daft, but after it compiled I got a message saying the X wasn't installed... And yet I was running the X desktop...

I'll give it a shot again after I upgrade to Mandriva the weekend.

You could do a fresh install of LE2005, or you could upgrade your existing installation when you boot from the LE2005 CD.

Depends which you'd prefer to do! :P

• 2 weeks later...

for every new mandriva release, there are paid versions (e.g. powerpack) and free ones. you can always upgrade to the next release for free. club members simply get this service earlier (as well as some "proprietary" drivers that are not included in the free version).

You say you can just change the mirrors to 2005 to update 10.1 > 2005 - But isn't 2005 a paid version? I mean how come you can seemingly upgrade for free?

Yep, you can just change the mirrors, and away you go. :D