Source RPM files

Guest GorGor

Hi

Its been awhile since I last showed my ignorance, the night is young.

Ummm, Is there any benefit in downloading source rpm versus 'normal' rpms?

Reasons why I ask include:

(1) I saw that there are a few Cups rpms at the update sites but only one source file

(2) Will using source files eliminate any (potential) depenency problem?

(3) I am thinking as I am using dial up modem, of using http transfer of a file instead of the ftp technique and hoping some speed ups>

Thanks for reading so far, any clues would be apprectiated.

I have seen the post on preferring URPMI over rpmdrake so will check that out as well.

Getting and rebuilding the source file will not resolve any dependency problems. What it will do is optimise the apps performance based on the technology of your computer. So for instance, if you have a fairly up to date machine ( and kernel) and you rebuild a app from i386RPM to i586 RPM you should see an improvement in performance, ( not much) it will utilise the stuff on your computer.

Remember though, that to rebuild any source file you will need the rebuilding files, which can include kernel headers,kernel source, rpm-build etc, etc it depends on what app your rebuilding.

If you think about security, you would need to have access to the source files and the way / settings the binaries are compiled.

Then if you use the same settings and same gcc, they should result in the same binaries/rpms.

If they differ, the binaries that are given might contain trojans, backdoors etcetc.

This is the true reason that MS showing the source to some institutions (Shared source initiative) is completely b*ll*cks, because they don't give the necessary compiler plus used switches to repeat the process and compare the output.

So you have no way of knowing about any backdoors.

You actually have no way of knowing if the source they show you is actually the real source they compile from (apart from that it's likely incomplete, it might be something completely different...)