LE2005: normal user cannot reboot/shutdown

henner

Hi,

my 'normal' user can noit reboot or shutdown by using the KDE menu-path.

The only choice ist 'logout' (and the system starts gdm).

reboot and shutdown by using konsole works.

Where can i activate the reboot- and shutdown-option?

henner

It's a function made available by the login manager. Open the Mandriva Control Center, startup and change your login manager (kdm or the mandrake one).

Funny, I was just about to ask about this.

I still have the same problem, using the KDE login manager (only have options for the following login managers: KDE, GNOME, and X-Windows). I have a funny feeling I am missing something but don't know what. Everything worked fine on a previous install (before I started playing with modem drivers and generally mees things up), but when I done a fresh install again, I unchecked a couple of boxes, and now I can only shutdown using a terminal window.

Cheers

Henner,

If you are using the KDE login manager, you will have to configure this. Go to the app's (Star) menu>system>configuration>KDE>Login manager. Within this you should be able to set who can and cannot run shutdown from kde(gnome, etc) and the path to the halt and reboot commands.

(Although to be fair, i did a clean install and made sure that apm was active in the bios, made the mistake of disabling that when i installed windows and linux on new hard drive, but don't ask me why!)

Cheers

Edited by Reiver_Fluffi

the shutdown problem can also be the result of a user not assigned to the user-group (in the system) that allows you to shutdown. in this case you have to check on the groups that you are assigned to in the mcc.

Edited by arctic

my 'normal' user can noit reboot or shutdown by using the KDE menu-path.

The only choice ist 'logout' (and the system starts gdm).

reboot and shutdown by using konsole works.

Where can i activate the reboot- and shutdown-option?

all the above may be true however i feel it's more a security level issue . once you cross the line from standard or high to "higher" and mandriva claims the pc is now ready to be used as a server . your normal users are not allowed to "shutdown" the system .which kinda makes sense doesn't it ?

i think you will find that changing settings in the login manager will work today, but once security is checked and re-applied "usually daily" .. your shutdown option goes byebye next time you check .

all the above may be true however i feel it's more a security level issue . once you cross the line from standard or high to "higher" and mandriva claims the pc is  now ready to be used as a server . your normal users are not allowed to "shutdown" the system .which kinda makes sense doesn't it ?

i think you will find that changing settings in the login manager will work today, but once security is checked and re-applied "usually daily" .. your shutdown option goes byebye  next time you check .

Now I hadn't thought of that, but I believe you may have answered the problem I had first time round.......I remember vaguely that I set the level to high, as a result only root could access the mounted win partitions, all making sense now!

Cheers