openoffice changes .doc files formatting

crundle

I am trying to convert from using XP across to mandrake 10.2 full time, and one of the main issues I have come across now is that when I am working on .doc files with others who are using Word, the formatting changes depending on whether I am using Word or Openoffice. It just seems to be a matter of making the document look longer in Openoffice, say a 2 page document becomes about 2 1/3 pages long. It is important that I can get the formatting the same so the documents are the right length.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to discover this problem, but if anyone out there knows how to work around this or fix it, it would be greatly appreciated! I am using Openoffice 1.1.4

cheers,

Crundle

:)

ok, I read the instructions! it seems that in options/text/general, if the boxes are ticked, then the document becomes a lot more like the original word style. it seems that openoffice 2.0 will have even more compatibility, so I am waiting for that one to be ready to roll, but this should work in the mean time.

crundle

Hi crundle,

I've been told about that problem quite often and noticed it too on various occasions. If it just affects the length of your documents, consider yourself lucky. It seems that documents relying heavily on macros, especially with lots of automatic-formatting seem to attract this problem. One work-around would be to standardize and match what your auto-format does. This can be a lot of work in a business. The "frame" templates for documents need to be changed, but then the results are definitely rewarding.

Do have a look at openoffice.org where you can ask users who have overcome these problems.

regards, Helmut

Edited by Helmut

the different "size" of documents can be related to different fonts used (times new roman is not times new roman. trust me!), the page settings (e.g. does one person create the document as e.g. A4 LEF, while others open it as A4 SEF? so you see, A4 is not A4 etc.), the borders that are not correctly set or the macros or the .doc version (word95/97/XP/2003/...).

i try to gently poke ms-office users to send me their documents in an open-for-all and readable-on-all-systems format like .rtf. the easiest way to reduce .doc formatting problems. ;)

The problem was that the document was an essay answer to a problem at law school, and I have chosen now just before assessment time to change to mandrake (not really chose because xp was playing up badly for me).

the other people are using windows, and the answer had to be 2 pages and not any more, hence the issue with the length of the document changing. but now i have made those changes, the documents line up nicely, and I think version 2.0 will address the issue even better, since so many people use word, the other office software will have to at least be able to make use of the documents in that form.

every day with linux is getting better and better for me, I tried mandrake 10.1 but wasn't too happy with it, but 2005 works fine for me, no going back to ms now....

thanks for all the help everyone, I hope to be able to return the favour one day...

crundle

Edited by crundle