saving mp3s

sunshine13

I have quite a good cd library and would like to save them to my hard drive so i can make compilation albums in mp3 mode so they do not take up to much room.

Which program would you all reccommend

:jester:

I would suggest GRIP. I works in Gnome and KDE. You can also rip to OGG (much less lossier than MP3 and better quality) and get appropiate data off the internet.

I´ve used it a lot and not been disappointed. I have tried others that people here have suggested but always came back to Grip.

It is in your install discs and can easily be installed using MCC (Mandrake Control Centre)

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Hi newbie here nice to meet you, I had a look in MCC in software packages installation but I could not find grip allphabeticaly or doing a search. When I installed mandrive 10.2 limited edition it gave me the option to copy the dvd to hard drive which I did. Do you think it may be filed under some other name, I looked in the gnome headings.

Bye 4 Now Sunshine13

If you use GNOME, you can also use soundjuicer to do it. You can easily extract the tracks in FLAC format (lossless compression) or OGG vorbis (lossy, CD quality). It's the simplest software to use in the world.

It could previously (Mandrake 10.1) extract also to mp3, but I don't know how to do it now (Mandriva 2005 LE). <googling>Ok, it seems the instructions to encode in mp3 were here, but i can't reach the website: http://www.emcken.dk/weblog/archives/99-MP...und-Juicer.html </googling>Don't forget that ogg quality is better, but not every brand of MP3 player can read OGG files. But as it's an open format, you're sure you will always be able to read it.

goobox is rather similar to sound-juicer, but it can also play CDs and has a convenient setting for configuring the output quality (with sound-juicer you have to go into gconf and edit gstreamer's quality profiles), so that's why it gets my vote. Anyways. To get sound-juicer to encode MP3, you'd need gstreamer-lame installed, I think. I'd guess that would be in PLF.

If you use GNOME, you can also use soundjuicer to do it. You can easily extract the tracks in FLAC format (lossless compression) or OGG vorbis (lossy, CD quality). It's the simplest software to use in the world.

It could previously (Mandrake 10.1) extract also to mp3, but I don't know how to do it now (Mandriva 2005 LE). <googling>Ok, it seems the instructions to encode in mp3 were here, but i can't reach the website: http://www.emcken.dk/weblog/archives/99-MP...und-Juicer.html </googling>Don't forget that ogg quality is better, but not every brand of MP3 player can read OGG files. But as it's an open format, you're sure you will always be able to read it.

Thanks I think I am going to have to have a look at this when I have been using linux for a while as this looks rather complicated but i will certainly have a look into it when I feel more confident.

Cheers for now :D

I have found I have soundjuicer 0.6.0 but it does not have the option to extract to mp3, does this mean I have got to download gstreamer-lame or if I get the newest version of sound juicer is it built in.

Cheers