Problem with KDE 3.3 in Mandriva LE2005

Frederick

Hi everybody,

I have recently installed Mandriva LE2005, and although i have found it to be much better than 10.1 in many respects, I have one little annoying problem.

When I open KDE, the memory used is typicallly 160-180MB (which is fine by me), but after opening a few applications (like kaffeine, openoffice, mplayer, firefox, mozilla, etc...), I find myself with 440MB (which is the maximum on my sytem, a laptop) of memory used after having closed ALL of the above. I do believe that KDE keeps at least one instance of each applicatioon in memory, but even checking that and kill all such processes only gets me down to about 330MB. Now, I have checked in the "KDE control center", in the KDE performance tab that I disabled the "preloading" of apps by setting its value to "0", but still the same problem.

I do not have this problem with xfce 4.2, although if i open a KDE application like kaffeine, it stays in memory even after closing it completly!!

Now, correct me if i'm wrong, but an app should vanish from RAM as soon as (or at least in a reasonable amount of time after) it is closed.

I would not worry too much about it if it did not end up slowing down my system dramatically after 30-45 minutes of use!

Cheers.

BTW, XFCE rocks!!

I am thinking you are thinking too much Windows concept of how things work in Mandriva..

Data in memory won´t just drop out just because you close an application.

If something else requires memory for the moment then it takes whatever memory is not or any longer committed. Your problem seems to stem from you having too many applications claiming committed memory in the beginning ( just to save a few lousy seconds starting the application ???.) If you close all applications and have none preloaded and note your memory state as shown KDE Control Centre and then logged out and back in again you would find that your free memory was back to normal again. Just logging out and then in, clears memory except for preclaimed committed memory.

I don´t think you have a problem with the system. The problem is the way you think the system works and the way you use it.

I could be wrong but I feel not.

Cheers. John

I have tried to log out and log in again, but it did not seem to work, at least not fully since i ended up with about 250MB of RAM occupied.

Anyway, xfce seems to work really well, plus i really like some of the panel plugins you can put (like the system and memory monitors for instance and the mini CLI).

Thanks for your thoughts John.