VNC Help 10.1 [solved]

jleaman

Ok i got my server working perfectly with webmin and all my other stuff but id like to have vnc working i use a laptop at work and would like to be able to vnc into my machine at home.. I looked in started services and vnc is running but i cant find a place in 10.1 to convigure it.. any one know. ? i just get connection refused when i try to vnc to the box..

Jason

Well I am a newbie, but I installed vncserver et vncclients, (urpmi...) and I type vncserver in a shell, the first time it will ask u a password . The I go on me laptop which is running windoze (errk) and start vnclient and bob is your uncle...

Stef

The only way i can get it to work is to log in at the computer and go into the control pannel and turn it on in there but once i close the control pannel the vnc server stops..

If i go into services it is running.. i just cant connect to it..

i tried vncserver in terminal but this is what came up.

login as: root

root@192.168.0.15's password:

Last login: Mon May 30 21:13:47 2005

[root@odie root]# vncserver

New 'X' desktop is odie:1

Starting applications specified in /root/.vnc/xstartup

Log file is /root/.vnc/odie:1.log

[root@odie root]*

[root@odie root]

Well, that seems normal to me so far, you need to log at the adress: 192.168.0.15:1 I suppose and enter your password. Sorry I can t see what is going wrong, as I said I am a new user too!

Stef

to be able to vnc to home from the laptop you need the wan IP for the server and port 5801 open..

access the machine via wan IP i.e. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5801 you may have a gui installed located in /internet/remote access "remote desktop connection" i forget the name of the package right now . anyway it will work using a java enabled browser http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5801 knowing your wan ip ofcourse

it looks like you have the correct syntax for the server and it's running . you might not want to serve a VNC session for your "root" account but rather vnc serve a regular user and su commands while logged in as the regular user

krfb is the package

I'm behind a firewall id never let a outside ip access to this : O) only internal... its working thanks guys..

J'