Portal website.

Wasnt entirely sure where to post this i wanted to ask some advice from anyone who knows php here which i suspect is quite a few here.nearly finished uni for the summer and decided over the summer i woyuld build myself an online portal to use as my start page.

I decided to do this as i use so many computers scattered everywhere and also several different OS's. Doing this would save me creatingg my bookmarks time and time again and would allow me a common place to find out my data.

On this start page i am going to have various things bookmarks to favourite sites, todo lists and also a run down of any appointments lectures etc, e.g calender software in any PIM software. So here comes my question, can anyone suggest the best way to do this.

Guest Adriano1

After reading your question, I had mixed reactions:

I thought about being a bit rude

I thought about pointing you to jfgi

I thought about letting this unanswered (by me at least).

After all the negativity subsided :) I decided to be helpful. Your question is a bit broad, and you don't point out what you know and what you have already researched. So I'll ask:

"What do you know about php already? What have you looked at, and why didn't you go with it?"

If you want to start something from scratch is one thing, building up from an already packaged solution is another. What did you have in mind? Do you have a detailed list of tasks you want to do, or just what you told us?

Ok im sorry maybe i should have said a bit more in my post. So ill answer your questions one by one.

I want to build it from scratch, i have had a look at some pre-built programs but they were not really what i was looking for, I want to build this to build my php skills as in my final year of uni i am more than likely going to do my final year project in php.

I would probably put my php skills at intermediate to advanced. I was going to use php/mysql for this little project. I have one idea of a way to do this, howver i was just going to see if anyone could give me any recommendations.

The way i was thinking of doing this is as so: I would place appointmentas on the hour and then find all appointments for that day and format them appropriatly, not sure how to do that yet. This seems a rather cumbersome way to do it so i was posting here to see if anyone might know of a library of functions that may do this slightly better.

As a side note. Im not having a go at you adriano its something i have been noticing more and more. Its good to get recommendations for somethings, I always google first and whilst it is a great tool it sometimes is difficult to find exactly what you want so what is wrong with seeing if anyone can recomend a site for what you need. I may not of put my point accross very well, i often find it difficult to say what i mean on the internet. I do not mean to offend anyone.

Guest Adriano1

I understand, but saying "I'm trying to do X and Y, but I had no luck when googling for X and Y, can you help me?" is a bit better received than "I want to do this, anybody can help?" With the first one, I see some effort from you. I myself try to help a lot of people on IRC, newsgroups and boards like this. When I see lots of questions framed like "I want everything for free" I get a bit tired.

This is not the fault of anyone in particular, but the effect adds up.

Edited by Adriano

try to search at sourceforge.net, keyword, webportal, website, cms, or you can try mambo, wordpress, plone... though you wont start it from scratch, if you really have a skills on php,mysql, then try to help those I mentioned, by building your own plugins, themes, or whatever that can improve those. :P