Changing Themes in Gnome

ianw1974

lol, disappointed? for something I've never looked into? pfft j/k

I know where you can individually change the sounds, but to me, that's not changing a 'theme'. Seems there is no way to do that. The only thing to try is to find a theme that uses the same naming conventions as /usr/share/sounds (if one exist) and put the theme in a created dir ~/.sounds

...I d/k...might work, might not

Edited by bvc

Ugh people actually use sound themes? I turn all sound off, nothing more annoying than listening to your music up full blast and someone messages you on gaim. I'm curious though, what's so good about having sound when you click a button, login or whatever? I don't see anything useful at all about it, i just find it hugely annoying.

i used to like them back in my windows, object desktop days when all the cool animated crap could have any specified sound. but they were done right, and mastered at lower levels so that they didn't play over your music. the only event sounds I've used in gnome was back in gnome-1.4 and they'd blow your speakers playing over your music. also, if i'm not mistaken, you have to used esd to use the event sounds and esd sucks imo unless you need it. If the sounds are done right, it can be fun at times.

fyi: you can store the sound theme you want to use anywhere you want. simply modify the path to the sounds you want to use in your desktop preferences section → audio.

i usually turn sounds off. they are quite useless imho.

I do have to agree that I don't like gnome and how it manages it's sound. In windows, I've been able to play music at full BLAST, and then someone IMs me and it's very low, but I can still hear it. In Linux however, I have to mute the gaim sounds, because when I do so let's just say it's nothing far from blowing my speakers to shreds.

Does anyone know why there is such a problem? Does it have to do with the Linux kernel, DE/WM, or gaim its self? Because I would deff. like to see it fixed in the future.

I don't like sound themes my self, I do tend to find them annoying. Specially when I lisen to music, and leave the volume at full blast, then all the sudden when I log in the Ubuntu afrikano sounds come on. Scaes the crap out of me specially since I'm home alone :o