Changing Themes in Gnome

ianw1974

Sorry, this is really gonna sound stupid. I usually use KDE, and I figured I'd just have a look at Gnome.

However, I downloaded some themes, and I can't figure out how to get them to work. They are either GTK1 or GTK2 themes. I tried System/Configuration/Gnome/Theme but this only has default ones listed.

Can someone point me in the right direction?!? :help:

Yes, that's where I've been. I downloaded, extracted, then pointed to the directory, but it doesn't apply it.

Do I have to put them somewhere special?

With file-roller installed, I think the easiest way is to click on the tarball and use file-roller to extract them to .icons or .themes. This is because sometimes the gnome-theme-manager doesn't work depending on version and/or bz2's or whatever. I rather not hassle with 'IF'.

Edited by bvc

No, metacity themes go in .themes

They originally did go in .metacity a few years ago, but changed to .themes almost immediately.

Tip: If you install a theme and find it doesn't work there are two things to check;

1. open the dir and see if there's compiling files like 'configure'. If there is it is an engine and not 'just' a theme. You can find all engines in rpm format except for the experience-gtk-engine (I've never seen an rpm). Or, have fun and complie the engine

./configure --prefix=/usr

make

make install (as root)

2. Open the gnome-theme-manager from a terminal and see what errors you get when starting it. Look for errors for the theme you are trying to use.

This may be helpful

http://art.gnome.org/faq.php

Edited by bvc

also on the changing themes in gnome subject, if you have trouble with the gnome-theme-manager, you can use the gconf-editor>desktop>gnome>interface to change icon and gtk themes and apps>metacity to change metacity themes

or from commandline (example)

gconftool-2 --type=string --set /apps/metacity/general/theme name_of_theme

I recommend EdgeSoft ;)

Edited by bvc

lol great! that sucks I'm really disappointed in you bvc. You are nothing short of the Gnome Guru, and you dont know what the sound manager is?!? wtf!

j/k lol, even the people in #gnome don't know, and they are suppose to be what the call ' developers ' if gnome doesn't have one they should comeo out with one :)