Internet Downloads Stopping [solved]

tf1

if he can *start* the download, then his DNS configuration is perfectly fine and the issue must lie elsewhere.

iphitus

not at all. if the dns-server gets changed automatically, then the download will be broken in the middle of the transaction. i experienced it myself. ;)

Sounds like the remarking of search linksys (so that only DNS entries exist) did the trick, as he's downloaded without any probs now!

However, I might be speaking too soon, so shall wait for his response when he re-enables :P

No its just the same, just coincidence. Furthermore i downloaded suse 9.2 installed that and guess what! Yep just the same. Clearly not a Mamdrake issue. Tried installing a new network card it makes no difference. The Motherboard is made by Asrock is there any chance its not compatible with a linux os? As i said xp has no problem, 9.2=3.2gig in 5 hours but i don't want to use xp. This is really frustrating ( sounds os gnashing teeth and hair being pulled out )

Sometimes an option called "Plug and Play OS" in the BIOS can cause problems with hardware. What is this set to at the moment? If it's set to OS, change this so that it's not controlled by the OS. See if that makes a difference.

How old is the BIOS? Maybe update if you can.....

Hey guys

In desperation i went and bought a new mobo, guess what yep just the same.

Started looking at the router(linksyswrg54g) mmmmmmmmmm.

Plugged the modem directly into nic and guess what. Perfect. Had quite a job getting the router to work again at all! when it did quess what, first download stopped just the same. Fairly sure now that it is a router issue (bugger ). Tried loads of settings, firewall off etc, no luck, could be its broken? Any suggestions for a good wireless router preferably with no modem and at least 4 ethernet ports? Cheap would be good and also compatible with linux!

Anybody want to buy an Asrock K7S41 mobo? (joke)

Netgear do a DG834 with four port ethernet and wireless. It has Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) too, as part of it's firewall, so is quite good, and relatively cheap also. It's actually an ADSL router as well as this, hence the firewall, but works a treat. Just need to configure IP addresses for the network cards to get access to the network and/or internet (will do DHCP too). I use Netgear without any probs, I just don't have the wireless part as I bought the router before it was available.

But then there are others out there too, so it's personal preference. I like Netgear though lol.

Edited by ianw1974

Strangely enough i had a dg834 before a friend gave me the linksys, he was sent the wrong item from misco and they didn't want it back! I think its the 834g with the wireless connection. Think i 'll get me one of them. i have to agree netgear is good kit and i never had any problems with it . See, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

I have the DG814, which I think is obsolete now, as I don't expect you can buy it through the normal channels.

I may go for wireless eventually, but I'll get the access point, and then connect to the DG814 so that I don't have to buy another ADSL router, and I have a hardware firewall anyway, so the other additional benefits of the DG834 are irrelevant to me.....

Good luck, as you've mentioned you've used before, it should be a doddle configuring. Remember they default to 192.168.0.1 for the IP address of the Netgear router out of the box. Just in case you're operating an alternative IP range (you can always change it later of course). :P

i'm beginning to think some of you guys here are a bit psycic! just did that very thing about 10 mins ago. Went from 2.21 to 2.37eu and the signs are looking pretty good with no halted downloads "yet". the update also resets the router to factory spec, it may have been that, in which case it was more than likely my fault, bad setting or something. I'll check back and let you all know the state of play later

cheers

i think i can safely say that the problem is now resolved, not had a single halted download since the firmware upgrade.

thanks to all for your support, knowledge and patience. Loved Suse but will stay with Mdk, just seems to have the edge ( for me ) at the moment.

Used the spare mobo with new cpu and ram to upgrade my daughters box ( xp only, sad child ). ah well, waste not want not.

TF