Internet Downloads Stopping [solved]

tf1

Hi all,

just set up a new machine and thought i'd try MDK 10.2 instead of Suse, for a look see. Well what can i say except brilliant. I have a small problem though, when i start a download from the net all seems fine but then it just stops and sits there with nothing happening and will not continue.

Its dual booted with xp and that appears to download ok. I've also transferred a 2gig folder over the network with no problems so i think the hardware is not the problem.

Any ideas for a resolution to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

What's your connection out to the internet? Is it over a DSL Router/Modem?

Check your /etc/nsswitch.conf for a line that should be similar to:

hosts: files nisplus nis dns wins

When you configured the network, was a hostname set? Normally the info I supply is hostname, IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS Servers. I don't bother with zeroconf.

Also, if you are using a DSL Router, do you have this same problem under Windows? I sometime had problems with mine, when the timeout was set to "5", I changed this to "0" so that it wouldn't timeout.

Hi

i connect through a linksys wrv54g router which connects to a ADSL Nation x modem ce.

Its a 2mbit connection.

I've checked /etc/nsswitch.conf and the line is there .

The connection is set up with DHCP and the first dns is set to 192.168.1.1 which is the ip address for the router.

Windows works with no problems. Same stuff also works well with Suse 9.1. Ordinary web surfing works fine in MDK probably because pages are not that large. The only time this problem shows is downloading large files, sometimes i can get 2,4, or 6mb or more before it stops downloading. Once i actually downloaded the whole thing! Must be something set wrong just don't know what?

I'd just like to add a 'me too' to this. I'm using an eagle f@st 800 adsl modem connected by usb. It was working fine but for some reason today it is refusing to complete downloads (I was attempting the latest Nvidia driver) it will downlaod partially and then just halts.

try to change the dns-servers in your /etc/resolv.conf and try another download. will it stop again after a certain amount of time (e.g. five minutes?)?

try the dns-servers of your internet provider first.

Edited by arctic

set the primary and secondary dns servers to that of my isp, still the same results, i have tried this before as well.

the contents of /etc/resolv.conf are

search linksys

nameserver 194.106.56.6

nameserver 194.106.33.42

# nameserver 192.168.1.1

# ppp temp entry

adamw

did that , made no difference.

arctic

read all of that (bloody hell ) took option 2. dns servers now stay as set on reboot, deactivated ipv6 but alas still no joy,

I hope i can sort this problem as this version seems really sorted in all other ways. Went to suse from mdk because of seemingly unsolvable problems (all of which are are now not a problem) just my luck!

Please keep the ideas coming guys.

I noticed you've got "search linksys" in your resolv.conf. All I have are the nameservers. You could try removing this line if it's not already been removed by the steps completed above?!?

Just place a # in front of it, you can always remove it later if it doesn't work.

if he can *start* the download, then his DNS configuration is perfectly fine and the issue must lie elsewhere.

DNS just translates mandrivausers.org into 213.25.63.99 or whatever it's IP happens to be, which the computer then connects to and makes whatever requests it wants.

If the download has started, then the computer is past the DNS stage, and into the connection, request and receiving of the file stage.

iphitus

good morning all

Tried this morning, just the same.

Remarked out the "search linksys" line in resolv.conf and on reboot that appears to work. I've downloaded quite a few test files one of which was 147mb with only one failure. Later I'll try putting the line back in to see if the problem occurs again. I'll keep you posted

many thanks to all for your assistance