Help with KDE 3.4 upgrade [solved]

I just used URPMI to upgrade my installation and when I start KDE i receive the error "Cannot Start kdeinit. Check installation."

NOW what do I do? Should I reinstall the kdebase package? Compile it from source??

Someone please help.

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

Run the following from the prompt:

urpmi --auto-select --auto

This will make sure that everything that needs to be updated, will be, and bring you into alignment in case something is missing.

Type "updatedb" at the prompt, and then "slocate rpmnew". For any rpmnew that you find, you need to replace the corresponding file. For example:

/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc.conf needs to be replaced by kdmrc.conf.rpmnew

There will be some others, the slocate will tell you them all, but you need to do the updatedb first, to make sure it knows where they all are.

Try rebooting after that, and see how you get on and let us know what occurs next.

Did you update KDE with KDE running?

If you did then this is a gross mistake... always switch to another window manager (or drop to no X) before updating KDE modules.

Yes I did and yes it was a mistake. Last time I updated KDE I used the "Konstruct" package from KDE.org. I allows it by installing into another directory completley. Then you manually set your paths to the new install. That way if there is a mistake your old KDE install is untouched. So this time, without thinking......

I have gotten everthing back to the way it was before I upgraded it and am going to try again.

Let ya know what happens.

• 2 weeks later...