Poor fonts [solved]

shaner

I must have been ripped off then because I don't have the LookNFeel option in my KDE 3.3 Control Center. I have looked under system, Fonts, Boot options, hardware, software and so forth, I just don't see it. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, I can't find any anti-aliasing options. Font's just lets me install more fonts, which doesn't help much I have installed every type of font I can get my hands on. I'm considering just a new re-install and fix my partitions too. Which seems crazy just to fix my fonts. I would have to re-install firefox, and thunderbird, and loose my settings for them.

Thanks.

Shane

The problem I have had is with GTK apps. For firefox, etc you need to go to gnome fonts. Run gnome-font-properties. I had to set font rendering for "best shapes." The default on my system was best contrast. That change made all the difference in firefox. I would do this before trying any reinstalls and messing with Xorg, etc.

Edited by polemicz

After unrecoverably crashing XP once I decided the same thing even for Windows.

I thought the swap partition was for my documents when I originally set up. I have since learned better.

Ok, Looks like another install is in order. Bye, bye docs and settings!

Making another partition should allow both windows and Linux to access it right?

Shane

Edited by shaner

I know I seen it elsewhere but what would be a good division for my hd

Right now I have 27 GB for Windows

500MB Swap

7 GB for Linux

What is a better solution for the Linux/Swap partition?

Shane

One more thing. This is definitly a KDE problem, because now I'm logged into Gnome, and looks great! Maybe I won't re-install. Maybe I'll start using Gnome. It looks smoother all around. Nice Desktop.

Shane

decide how much will you use for /home (personal files)

increase /swap to 700mb

I have my linux / partition at 7gb, but 5 is enough (for me that is)

each uses his/her pc a bit differently, I don't know how much space YOU need

Polemicz,

I guess I missed that post somehow. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm trying out Gnome Desktop now and it looks really good here. Do I just type "Run gnome-font-properties" in a command line? My basic problem is that I need simple steps for these wonderful suggestions that everyone is giving. I appreciate the help, but I have tried a few of them, and find that I really don't understand how to do what has been suggested. I'm relatively new to Linux, but I'm not new to computers (although I'm not a programmer either). How can I try this gnome-font-properties, because it is definitely a problem in KDE, and not with Linux. Gnome looks really good, I may just start using it instead, but that really doesn't solve the problem.

Shane

you can type gnome-font-properties in a terminal. as I don't use gnome i'm unsure where on their menus the fonts are. i'm sure there is a gnome control center thingy you can use. people get intp gnome and kde in wierd ways, you get used to one and like it. i've always used kde and am used to configuring it. also i hate nautilus and like konqueror a lot. nautilus is a lusy file manager in my opinion, konq is much better, but there is always good ole mc (or krusader which make mc look a lot spifier). so enjoy gnome, lots of folks do. if you set your gnome fonts they will be fine in kde also. the issue is with apps that use gtk (gnome) vs qt (kde). the old linux choice thing can be a source of trouble at times.

:thanks: Polemicz,

Well that was super easy, I'm back in KDE and looks great after using the gnome-fonts-properties That was a quick, and very easy fix for the problem. Thanks a bunch! I will play around with both desktops since I'm not partitial to one of them yet. I liked Gnome better just because I could actually read what I was supposed be be reading! Thanks a Bunch! I'm happily back in buisness on KDE. :jump:

Shane

Using one partition for the whole Linux installation isn't that bad- in fact it's indicated if you want to run a script and run/compile a LiveCD using your current configuration.

I disagree. I've had plenty of situations when I screwed up the main / while tinkering with Linux

and had to reinstall the system.

I would have lost all my documents for several times, if I wouldn't have had seperate partitions for those.

As well, if one partition breaks, the data on the rest at least remains.

That's why I have all my hd's seperated in many smaller partitions.

Just from my experience -> it's good to have your personal data safe on another partition

I like putting /usr/local to a separate partition as well, and install all non-MDK and non-RPM applications to /usr/local. So should I need to reinstall the OS, all added goodies will remain intact.