Poor fonts [solved]

shaner

Hey Everyone,

I have read some of the other posts, but it seems that the MCC has really changed from 10.1 to LE2005. My fonts look bad in my web browsers (Mozilla, FireFox, and Konquerer) as well as in my Thunderbird. This is where all my reading takes place, and it is really annoying. There must be some way to clean this up. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Shane

Solarian,

I checked and yup, it's installed. It has these dependencies too. :wall:

Because of their dependencies, the following package(s) also need to be

removed:

drakconf-10.2-5mdk, drakfirsttime-1.2-0.1mdk, drakoo-0.6-1mdk,

drakxtools-10.2-24.2.102mdk, font-tools-0.1-11mdk,

freetype-tools-1.3.1-23mdk, harddrake-10.2-24.2.102mdk,

harddrake-ui-10.2-24.2.102mdk, hwdb-clients-0.16.1-1mdk,

mdkonline-1.2-1.1.102mdk, OpenOffice.org-1.1.4-7.1.102mdk,

OpenOffice.org-help-en-1.1.4-7.1.102mdk, OpenOffice.org-l10n-en-1.1.4-7.1.102mdk,

rpmdrake-2.10-4.2.102mdk, userdrake-1.2.1-2mdk

Didn't dare uninstall all my updates, they seem important.

Shane

sometimes when after installing some freetype packages and fontconfig the fonts become messed up. has happened to quite a few people

were the fonts messed up right after your install or did they suddenly become messed up?

anyways, I'd try reinstalling or installing a new version of xorg

No, I haven't tried re-installing Xorg. I will give that a try. I really don't remember how the fonts got to be so messed up. I upgraded from 10.1 to LE2005, and I think that was the problem. I don't remember this problem before the update.

Shane

I don't know what xorg display driver I'm using. I haven't touched it. I don't even know how to change it. Hopefully that helps. Where can I find what I'm using?

As for a fresh install, would that be to wipe everything and start new??? That's an option, but not the best so far. I will try other things first. That would be a last resort measure.

Thanks.

Shane

No, I have three partitions. 1 - Windows 2 - Swap 3 - Linux I wanted to fix that too, but well, haven't done that yet either. I guess I could do all that and fix my partitions as well. I would prefer fix the fonts and be not worry about the rest.

Shane

This may sound silly, but it's seemed to have worked for me (I tried it a couple of hours ago). I just went into my KDE Control Centre, went to LookNFeel, selected Fonts, unticked "Use anti-aliasing for fonts", applied it & then went back & ticked it again (& applied it of course).

When I restarted FireFox (and other programs like KShowmail & Thunderbird), the fonts seemed to be fixed.

Hopefully it will work for you. Might be a lot less complicated than reinstalling Xorg (especially if you're on dial-up like me & will have to redownload any updates).

BTW, I did a normal upgrade from 10.1 to LE2005, not a new install.

Edited by seaeagle

Using one partition for the whole Linux installation isn't that bad- in fact it's indicated if you want to run a script and run/compile a LiveCD using your current configuration.

I disagree. I've had plenty of situations when I screwed up the main / while tinkering with Linux

and had to reinstall the system.

I would have lost all my documents for several times, if I wouldn't have had seperate partitions for those.

As well, if one partition breaks, the data on the rest at least remains.

That's why I have all my hd's seperated in many smaller partitions.

Just from my experience -> it's good to have your personal data safe on another partition