Sony Network Walkman 1Gb

I have the above device and i am able to mount it and transfer files to and from it like any other removeable device. However to get the thing to play music i have to use Sonic Stage, which is not Linux compatible pah.

The solution i have is not very elegant, i have to use my laptop to do this. i can't use Wine (installer doesn't work apparently) and Vmware probably would work but i don't want to pay.

Is there anything along the lines of GTKPOD but for this Sony device. It seems to do something very similar to the ipod (DB and renames the mp3 files).

I have a feeling this won't be possible as i think Sony add a DRM or other copy protection so i can't take the device to a mates and let them have the music on the drive.

most Sony players transcode everything to Sony's own format (ATRAC), yeah. Recent ones have started supporting MP3 natively, but I don't know about your model (how old is it?) I've never come across a Soundstage replacement for Linux, unfortunately :(

Sorry for the delay in replying. The device does add MP3 natively and everything else it converts to ATRAC. I do believe it does something with the MP3's though like adding some form of DRM (mg something) hence if i just transfer an mp3 it won't just play.

I did have a look at winehq and SS was mentioned on there but it fails on the install apprently, having said that, that was for 2.2 and i have 3 so i may have a tray again..

Thanks.

I'm not sure you read my reply - it may work with Cedega, visit the forums at transgaming.org

It might be a similar system to the ipod where a db is created with the song listing and it won't play files outside of the db.