konqueror for newbies

kristi

I always set up 2 konqueror icons in my task bar (drag and drop them from Menu, Internet, WebBrowsers)

One I set up as a root file manager: right click on the tray icon, choose properties, Application Tab, and in Command, type "kdesu konqueror" (no quotes)(delete the original stuff on that line) , and click the Advanced options button at the button and check to have it run as a different user "root" (no quotes). Click OK and choose General Tab and get an icon like a big red X so you'll never forget this file manager has root powers.

Both I set up as:

click on one of the 2 konqueror icons on your tray.

Set the side edge first where you are most likely to want it.

Set the bottom edge where you want it but I suggest a little above the taskbar.

Click Window, click "Show application panel".

Click Settings, click "save view profile "Web Browsing" "

At the bottom of the little window that opens, check both "save URLs in profile" and "save window size in profile"

Highlight web browsing (it will be) and click Save.

The other konqueror will now have the same profile.

When you first open it,

* The little window at top right is google

* The main window at top is for URLs or any sort, but also directory definitions.

*If you open your NON-ROOT konqueror, you'll see your home directory all down the left. Click on the little red folder on the far left and you will be browsing ALL directories and folders, but remember that because you opened the NON-ROOT konqueror you can't access/change many of them - mostly just your own stuff!

Now you know how to change things a bit. Now you can experiment and change as you wish!

(I personally use firefox for browsing, but it is VERY handy to be able to browse from konqueror!!! I use konqueror for ALL my file management!!!)

Kristi