what have I done? [solved]

Guest jefftee

Guest jefftee

Playing about last night I've done something now when I go to configure you computer it asks for a password..........in the box at the top it says Run as root KDE su

the command is /usr/sbin/drakconf.real

I've not set a password and I'm the only one who uses the pc

I'm using mandriva 2005 le

sorry to be a pain

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Guest anon

Welcome to the board.

Its supposed to be asking for your password. !!

What your calling up is the Mandriva control centre, so just enter your root password.

Maybe you got "configure your computer" mixed up with "configure your desktop" ?

Guest jefftee

:thanks: for the welcome.

I never set a password when I installed it . is the're a default password?

It's the configue computer. I can alter the desktop

the machine is dual booted with XP

sorry

During setup, you create by default a superuser/administator, named "root", and a normal user, named say "jefftee". Installing software and altering system settings require root priviledges, so the passsword requirement. If you didn't set up any root password during setup then it shouldn't ask at all, but it seems that you did. If you don't remember it then the only SAFE way out is reinstalling (although there are ways to reset the root password).

Guest jefftee

Thanks for that

...up untill last night I could alter things but after doing something I must have clicked on something I shouldn't have............I'm building a new PC just for linux so I'll plod on with this for now

I'll keep playing that way I can find my way around.

once again thank you very much

You don't need to reinstall. Reboot and as soon as you see the lilo selection screen hit the Esc key which will take you to a boot prompt at which you should type:

linux 1

and hit the Enter key. This is called running linux in sigle user mode which is a maintainance mode that linux and all unixes have. You will boot to a command prompt at which you run:

# passwd

and type in your new root password when prompted. then run:

# sync

# reboot

Note, the command prompt may not look like a "#"; IIRC it's some other weird thing in single user mode but just run the commands and you should be able to reset your root password.

how about opening a terminal and executing the su command. does it still ask for a password? im asking because that is how it is done in knoppix so it might also work for mandriva installations that did not specify a root password (and avoid the reboot part :) ).

ciao!

so anyone can reset my root password just by restarting my computer and entering a few commands at lilo?!

Well, anyone with physical access can. They can also boot up with a knoppix cd and have access to all your data. There's things you can do like password lilo and your bios but if they have physical access, they can open the box and walk out with the hard drive as well.

so anyone can reset my root password just by restarting my computer and entering a few commands at lilo?!

This is often the subject of debate but with Linux, physical access and a litttle knowhow means you are root..

However, accessing the box through network communcations means you have to deal with linux security..

It's extremely difficult to secure any system against someone with physical access to it, and it's not something any common operating system aspires to out of the box. Even if you completely locked down the operating system against it (which _is_ possible, though not easy) you'd have a lot of physical work to do. Most operating systems, including a standard Mandriva (well, any common Linux distro) are not especially secure against an attack by anyone with a shell login, even if they're thousands of miles away. There are several unpatched privilege escalation vulnerabilities likely to be present on any typical Linux install, I believe. Any Mandriva system is probably vulnerable to http://secunia.com/advisories/15341/ , to take the first example I found, and indeed any other distro not shipping kernel 2.6.11.9 (probably all of 'em. Maybe not FC4 beta.) Then there's this one: http://secunia.com/advisories/13784/ . And that's only taking the kernel. Fun game, isn't it? :)

Guest jefftee

Thanks to everyone :thanks: I ended up doing the chickens way out and removing linux but all the bits for the new machine are here I have a choice for my linux machine do I use old bits duron 950, 10gig HD, 512 ram 32mb graphics (new bits go to wifes machine).or pinch daughter machine dell 450 p11 20gig HD and 192 Ram (that's a slim line so less room than 2 towers in the living room) what ever I choose I've got a KVM and router so can use both at the same time.

why do wive's complain about living room with a PC printer,Router, KVM and wires running up the wall through ceiling to go to 2 machines upstairs.. :D