Is there support for SATA drives?

Guest Maldain

Guest Maldain

Is there support for SATA disk drives under Mandrake Linux 9.2? I have a batch of servers that I need to get up and running however they have SATA disk drives in them. Silly as they only have one drive it's not a raid just a single drive. What I need to know is there a way to install Mandrake Linux 9.2 on these drives.

And yes I know it's an older version of Mandrake/Mandriva but we're stuck with it as the software we use is built for it and we don't have access to the source code for the compiler used to build the software and they don't have a 10.1 official or 10.2 official version of the software out yet.

M. Lacy

Western Tool Supply

Mdk 9.2 didn't see my sata drive with the onboard intel ICH5 sata controller. I would suggest at least temporarily installing a pata drive and doing the install on that then upgrading the kernel to the most recent 2.4 kernel found in the mdk10.2/LE2005 tree. The newest 2.4 kernels have all the 2.6 sata stuff backported to them and should give you the best compatibility with mdk9.2. You can then transfer the install to the sata drive but you would need to edit fstab and lilo as the drive designation will change from /dev/hdx to /dev/sdx when going to sata. Once you get one up and running, image the drive and transfer to your other boxes.

Guest Maldain
Mdk 9.2 didn't see my sata drive with the onboard intel ICH5 sata controller. I would suggest at least temporarily installing a pata drive and doing the install on that then upgrading the kernel to the most recent 2.4 kernel found in the mdk10.2/LE2005 tree. The newest 2.4 kernels have all the 2.6 sata stuff backported to them and should give you the best compatibility with mdk9.2. You can then transfer the install to the sata drive but you would need to edit fstab and lilo as the drive designation will change from /dev/hdx to /dev/sdx when going to sata. Once you get one up and running, image the drive and transfer to your other boxes.

Thanks for the tip. Just curious how do I access the mdk10.2/LE2005 upgrade tree? Do i just set that as a source in urpmi?

They're on the public download mirrors in the contrib directory:

ftp://ftp.ciril.fr/pub/linux/mandrakelinu.../media/contrib/

The newest 2.4 kernel that I saw there was:

kernel-2.4.28.0.rc1.5mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

They also have the smp and enterprise versions of this kernel up there but I didn't see the kernel source rpm up there. If you need that I saw it here:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idp...k.i586.rpm.html

I wouldn't set up the tree as a urpmi source or it might start downloading all kinds of stuff that might not be compatible with your mdk9.2 software. Just download the kernel rpm you want and the kernel-source rpm. Just click on the kernel rpm and see if it will install without complaining about dependencies. If it installs OK, mandrake should put a boot entry in lilo for it along with your old kernel. See if you can boot with your new kernel and see how/if it picks up the sata drive. You might have to modprobe the sata modules to get it to recognize the sata drive; the ones for intel are libata and ata_piix. Then you can edit your modules.conf file to autoload the necessary sata modules. It all should be doable but you will have to play around with it a bit if your comfortable with that.

Edited by pmpatrick

Do I presume correctly that Mandriva2005 -Le is compatable with SATA drives.???

I hope it is because I am building a box for a young woman who is determined to get into Mandriva activity. I thought it made sense to go with an SATA drive because in Australia, the WD SATA is about the same price as the standard WD ATA drive of the same size. The box is going to use mid to upper range value components so as not to be outdated too quickly.

I am also considering getting 2 of SATA drives for my machine as well. Not planning to use RAID, at least in the near term.

Cheers. John.

@AussieJohn: 2005LE is compatible with almost all SATA controllers, and most hardware SATA-RAID ones. Soft SATA-RAID is a totally different story, in fact I don't know which are supported and which aren't...

I boot Mandriva 2005LE with two SATA HDD's on my main puter, but this ain't an achievement (a mainstreaam Intel controller). In fact even 10.0 booted fine with it. Even some 4.X.X kernel Linuxes (Slack 10.1, Vector 5.0) don't have trouble with most SATA controllers.

scarecrow: it's fine with most soft-RAID controllers if you ignore the RAID functions, from what I hear - if you just use 'em as single disks or use Linux software RAID.

FWIW, my HTPC uses an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard with Silicon Image SATA controllers, it was fine with 10.1 and 2005.

As a followup to the original intent of my first post, I am happy to say that I have successfully built and set up my young friends computer.

She could not be happier.

So far it has only the one 80Gb Serial ATA Western Digital Drive but she plans to add another next pay day. The SATA was absolutely no problem at all.

Mandriva2005-LE has the drive all to itself. Her original 40Gb ATA WD is Primary Master on ide1.

Win2000Pro only has half of that 40gb, the balance is a spare ext3 partition.

She remarked how quick her new machine is and said how easy it is to get used to slow when you had no experience of fast. Her machine has a new AMD Athlon64 3200 and a Gigabyte GA-K8NS ATX Mainboard, plus an NVIDIA GeForceFX5200-128mbs Video card, plus a 512mbs DDR memory stick and a Creative Digital 7.1 Audio Card.

She chose a clear windowed case with two blue LEDed 80mm fans so she has got a fairly solid and also attractive unit all up.

And to those blokes that say there are no worthwhile games on Linux, she says nonsense.

She said that until she tried Mandrake, at my suggestion, she had no idea there were so many games available. Now with active GL she can get into the ones she has not tried yet.

Another won (correct spelling) devotee to Linux. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: :D :D :D

Cheers. John.

A fast machine with an NVIDIA GeForceFX5200-128mbs Video card?

Nah, this is simply not possible...

I actually have the very same card in my main workstation right now, and I am not sure if it's any faster than the GForce2 Ti 200/32 MB RAM I was using some 3 years ago...

She chose a clear windowed case with two blue LEDed 80mm fans so she has got a fairly solid and also attractive unit all up.

Oh my!

It's just like boy racers all over again, they started as immature boys, with their moded cars, nowdays you see the young girls, again with their modded cars. Now this trend extends to to modded cases........well it had to happen sometime.

lol

Saying that, there would be no harm getting a few more ladies chatting here, bring a bit more balance to the discussion (correct me if I am wrong, but the demographics here tend to the male sex here)!

Totally off topic I know!

Anyhow good job John, and all thanks for sharing your wisdom so far, planning on having a stab at building a computer myself shortly, once the money comes in and I get my head round linux.........

Cheers