Wireless Networking with Mandriva LE2005

Frederick

Hi everybody,

I have an HP Zv5000 series laptop with a Broadcom wireless card.

Everything works fine, wlan0 is found at boot and started up, BUT, it can not determine the IP address from the router.

I have traced the problem to the type of key. Mandrake blindly sets the key to "restricted" when I need "open". Once I set it to open (once the system is booted up), I can then run "dhclient wlan0" and everything works great.

NOTE: When the type of key is wrong, the essid is not set correctly, but when the type of key is ok, then the essid is fine.

My question is, is there a way to have that done automatically (wlan0 loses the "open" status after each reboot") that would not involve having to write a script (which i know how to do) and setting sudo permissions for iwconfig and dhclient?

And if that is the only way (or the easier way), how do i get my script to be run at boot time?

Cheers.

Could try adding the following to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-xxx:

WIRELESS_IWCONFIG="essid xxxxxxxxx key XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX open"

The parameters should be passed to iwconfig.

Don't know if it will work...

This didn't seem to work for me, so I have written a little script (in two parts) that takes care of the business and I have deactivated wlan0 on boot, which leads to much shorter boot times.

Everything is working fine this way.

I will post the scripts latter.

Thanks for the help guys.

I have similar problems.

At my job I need eth0 and at home wlan0, so both need to be started at boot time, which leads to enormous boot times.

When being at home I need to shutdown eth0 first otherwise wlan0 won't pick up a dhcp address.

I wrote a basic script so that I can choose which networking profile I want to use after bootup.

Thanks Phantom!

That might just be it!

I also have eth0 and wlan0. Although i do not start them at boot, wlan0 (at least, as indicated by the little blue light) is started once boot is complete.

I'll shutdown eth0 and tell you about it.

Cheers.