mandrivalinux 10.2 and antivirus package

fahd

Does Mandriva linux 10.2 contain Antivirus or even alike apps in its package as SuSE does. Hopefully Mandriva Linux will carefully consider this important question. Do not make such an imperfect work, since linux is relatively less exposed to virus-attack as well. Thanks a lot.

Fahd

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

The commercial version of Mandy has clamav, which is probably the best free AV for Linux.

It's not of the caliber of Avast (IMO the best AV for Linux, maybe for windows as well), but since the Linux version of Avast is commercial I cant complain about that.

BTW if you don't run a file server an antivirus is not that essential for a Linux machine- yet!

I think I will create a dummy user (I'll call him mostly_harmless) and run all my internet applications with it.

Just one question (since I'm kind of a newbie in user management, I've always ran a one-user+root system):

Can I make it so that I can edit all mostly_harmless files, but it can only read mine?

So my standart user becomes like some middle-root

Thus, if I happen to download a virus, I think it'll be able to delete my internet stuff and nothing more.

p.s. oh, and how launch a program through shortcut so that it launches with a specific user?

thanx!

Edited by solarian

You could adjust the permissions on files you want other users to see (look up chmod for details).

If you wanted to create an almost-root type account, you could do this using sudo (look up sudo in the man pages).

sudo is a really useful tool as you just prefix the command you want to run with sudo. I am not sure if this would work in a gui environment though.

I guess another way you could do it would be to add the almost-root account to the user group of the other account

e.g.

user arthur_dent is a member of the group arthur_dent

user ford_prefect is a member of the groups ford_prefect and arthur_dent

any good?

You didn't like Ubuntu? How come?

The reason I ask is that I have just installed it after hearing it was really good (mainly from here). I haven't really played with it yet so have yet to find out what the fuss is about (although a few choice words were uttered during the install process :D )

ah, just not my style

I'm a KDE user who dislikes Kubuntu and especially Gnome. I had some problems with KDE and sudo, so I enabled root, but even then it was a bit glitchy. Haven't tried the latest version though.

Oh, and I dislike Ubuntu's computer config tools, they're too scattered and MCC beats them to nothing.

This is only my subjective oppinion, maybe you'll like Ubuntu, it's not a bad distro, not at all, just not for me.

p.s. my desktop - kde don't mean ugly (that's for the hordes of lurking Gnome zealots!)

Edited by solarian

*Yes, I wondered about that too.

Maybe 'fast reply' is less secure? :mr-green:

p.s. As I understand all those virus scanners are against windows viruses that go through a linux router/network/computer,

but not actually against linux viruses?

Or am I misinformed? :unsure:

Edited by solarian

I had a go at Blackbox, but didn't spend a lot of time on it. I've got it installed in case I need it for some reason (like can't get into KDE).

Maybe one day I'll spend more time and learn how to use it.

Anyway, that was a bit off-topic, so virus wise, I saw that clamav was on the main and contrib mirrors, but I still downloaded F-Prot anyway. This is free also, although they do have commercial versions too. I also got XFProt, just because I like gui's, so I compiled that, and I have the versatility of CLI or the GUI, depending on what mood I'm in that day.

I did download clamav, but couldn't find the gui, so I removed it :P

Fluxbox is a lot better than blackbox, i really like it. You'll notice a big difference in perfomance if your used to using the rather bloated kde and gnome. I actually use Gnome though, simple, easy to use and not filled with useless apps. I do like KDE, but they fill it with so much stuff that i'll never use it's a shame there isn't a KDE-lite version. :P