2005LE x86_64 iso

DragonMage

Ok, now that I am back from almost a month of going to a place where Internet is barely avalable.. I found out many interesting things happened. One is that patches and updates for 10.1 is almost 200 MB. Two is that 2005LE download edition is now available.

Anyway, since I don't have the bandwidth nor the patience to download the regular i586 isos, I will probably buy it from my local linux shop. However, since I have an Athlon 64 computer, I am dying to try x86_64 version of 2005LE. When I look at the mirrors, I see only one iso for x86_64 compared to the three for regular i586. Is this right? Is the Iso the full version or the network install version? If it is the full version, what is included in the iso?

Thanks for any information you can give me.

About all I have seen regarding your question is the distribution available on 1 DVD, rather than one CD. I have often obtained distributions from this place and have never been disappointed. Perhaps you could check it out, or even email and ask them as to what is included.

https://www.sarahgifts.com/~linux/index.php...edf3434380cdc10

zenarcher

If that site ships to Indonesia for reasonable charge, then I will consider it. However, I somewhat doubt it. Even cheapbytes doesn't ship to Indonesia.

On their website, they say they ship worldwide....and charge $5.95 shipping. I don't know if that includes worldwide shipping or not, but you can contact them with questions directly from their website. I don't know the company, but have ordered many products from them and never been disappointed in what I received.

zenarcher

http://download.stmc.edu.hk/fedora/linux/c...i386/os/images/

Since you can't download whole cd/dvd's why not try Fedora-64, you can d/l the 5MB boot.iso and do a minimum install and just yum install what ever else you need. Or does that still kill you bandwith?

min = ~ 650MB (might be way to much for you)

FC4 should be out around June 6th

http://download.stmc.edu.hk/fedora/linux/c...i386/os/images/

Since you can't download whole cd/dvd's why not try Fedora-64, you can d/l the 5MB boot.iso and do a minimum install and just yum install what ever else you need.  Or does that still kill you bandwith?

min = ~ 650MB  (might be way to much for you)

FC4 should be out around June 6th

You just don't give up, do you? :P

I already tested fedora, it's pretty decent but i couldn't get it do what i wanted since i was using the test release but oh my god it was so fast. Will try it again when fedora core 4 comes out. I'm confused about one thing, does fedora have an easy upgrade option? Like debians? I don't like to reinstall my system every 6 months.

Maybe this would of been better in a pm. :mellow:

I already tested fedora, it's pretty decent but i couldn't get it do what i wanted since i was using the test release but oh my god it was so fast. Will try it again when fedora core 4 comes out. I'm confused about one thing, does fedora have an easy upgrade option? Like debians? I don't like to reinstall my system every 6 months.

Maybe this would of been better in  a pm.  :mellow:

It's not as "easy" as debian, but it can be done pretty easy :D If that makes sense. I run rawhide almost all the time, so updating for me is easy.

I was pretty much just suggesting it to Dragon since d/l whole cd's would suck and sounds like mandy is only releasing a DVD, which for Dragon would be like leaving his interent on for say a Month to d/l and then prolly another week or two for all the updates that happened during the d/l. :P

As far as fast, yes it is :headbang: but most things should be fast on a x86_64 distro (except for "ME" Suse 9.2 was slower than a two legged dog, and Ubuntu Horay felt like it gain one more leg.) :lol2: I don't know why, on my box the just felt horrible. (this isn't a slow box either)

Someone made the decision that we would only provide a one disc free download edition of x86-64. I must admit I really don't understand the rationale behind the decision, but oh well. You can always install from the single CD and fill everything else in via urpmi, but it'd be painful on a slow connection. Getting a three-CD or more version from one of the El Cheapo distributors would be a better bet. Or you could always buy it from us! http://store.mandriva.com/ . I think we can do international shipments to Indonesia, and 2005 LE is only $60...

Yeah.. the problem is that local el-cheapo distributor doesn't have 2005LE x86_64 version yet. It has the regular i586 3 disk download edition though. While $60 is not much if you are living in the Western world, it's basically 2 weeks salary for a professional worker here in Indonesia. When I am thinking twice about 6 dollars shipping and handling for a product that costs 10 dollars, I sure don't want to bear a 60 dollar charge.

Anyway, I am downloading the 1 disk iso for now. If it has everyting I need (kernel, kde, gftp, and wvdial), I think I am going to install it and pull the rest via internet, just like usual.

Anyway, cybrjackle, I tried FC3 x86_64 edition before. While it is a fine distro, there are too many quirks with it that makes me go back to Mandrake. Like I have to be root to use my cellphone dialup and I cannot find a good x86_64 FC repository for things like codecs and drivers. I think I'll wait until FC4 is fine and ready in final and available in my local el-cheapo linux distributor :)

Hello DragonMage.

Since you are downloading the single 64 disc, when you install it and you urpmi to find what else you want, I can burn the 6 x cdrom Mandriva set onto a single DVD for you and post it to you. Gratis.

You can install the extras and their dependencies without a problem. Then the only further downloading off the net would be the updates etc.

Iff you are interested then PM your address to me and I will do the burn immediately and get it off to you as quickly as possible.

Cheers. John.

Thanks for the offer John. I think I will wait whether the 64 bit Mandrake is good enough for everyday use first before taking on your offer. I mean, the information for the 64 bit Mandrake is kind of sparse, even in this board. For all I know.. it may not boot at all :)

It's sparse mostly because it doesn't have many users, but that's more of a '64-bit Linux users are a tiny percentage of a tiny percentage' thing than an 'it sucks' thing. I don't have a 64-bit machine to test on so I haven't tried it myself, but the feedback in the Club forums (where there's a few more posters) has been pretty good for 2005.

Cool.. Ok.. since I am still downloading the iso right now (one accident with the resume function basically have me downloading back from 0 again, grmbl grmbl), I cannot try it yet. Tonight, the download should be finished though. After that, I will see whether 64 bit linux is as good as it is advertised. :)