Linux Livecd Install

ac_dispatcher

More and more Linux Distro have their own "Livecd"

What I find interesting is that more and more are Hard Drive installable Livecd's.

I for one think its a good idea - IT boots up and you check if it works for your system. If its all good click.click its installed on your hard drive.

Mepis is a good example here. It worked well with my Laptop and install flawless. I think its the future of most Distro's

What say you?

yes man this live cd thing its going wild , i use a damn small linux livecd (its a lot ligther) and it has his install on harddrive option, so i put it on my laptop and it did a pretty nice job installing itself !!! also puppy its pretty damn good :D

Kanotix and Archie are the best liveCD's I have stumbled on... Damn Small is also cool for old machines.

Never liked Mepis, sorry for that. Since you use it on a laptop, what about wifi, CPU throttling, advanced ACPI functions and suspend-to-something? With Mepis they never worked on my Acer LMi 291, while with Kanotix it was a piece of cake.

Edited by scarecrow

Well what i don't understand is why they overload live cd's? I mean come on, these things run slow enough as it is, do we really need the latest KDE/gnome and a bunch of useless apps on it? I'd like to see some live cd's with fluxbox or XFCE as the default window manager that would rock.