Internet Connection for Newbie!

sunshine13

Hi all great to meet you all this is my first post and my first time at trying to come to terms with Linux.

I have just installed mandriva 10.2 limited version on a duel boot (two hard drives machine) which went pretty well but I am now trying to get on the Internet after purchasing a serial port external modem.

I tried configuring the modem with the mandrake control centre, it found the modem I entered the isp phone number my user id etc but left the next few pages to auto as they ask for ip address and gateway? it will dial out as I can hear it dailing but comes back with there is no Internet connection on this computer.

As you can guess I am trying to migrate from window98se so if possible could you explain in full as i do not understand a lot of the computer jargon.

Thanks to all who reply!!! :D

Try this. Install kppp, which you can do through Mandrake Control Center. (It may already be installed...in your menu, it should be under Internet -> Remote Access).

Then run kppp and click the button to Show Log, so you can see what exactly the error is. It could be as simple as your ISP expects the full email address as the login: yourlogin@yourisp.net instead of yourlogin

If this fails, you could post the exact errors from the 'View Log' in kppp and also post the contents of /etc/ppp/options (not actually posting your password here...heh). You can do that simply by opening a console (The little TV-looking thng in your taskbar)and then typing

su

Type your root password and hit enter (you won't see anything being typed).

Then type

cat /etc/ppp/options

(it may be /etc/ppp/peers/options....it's been awhile since I was on dialup)

You can copy and paste from a console simply by left-click dragging with the mouse to highlight and then come here to make a post and middle-click to paste it here (push both the right and left mouse buttons at the same time if you don't have a middle mouse button....my scroll wheel is also the middle mouse button).

Right I have an internet connection now as the two plugs are connected and the status says its connected but when I open konquerer to access any web page it comes up with error cannot load this page.

I had a look in the terminal window at this file

# cat /etc/ppp/options

lock

noauth

noipdefault

usepeerdns

Does this look right?

Cheers

That looks right. What may be the problem is your isp's nameservers are not seen by ppp. Look in /etc/resolv.conf and see if they are in there. If they are not, you can find out from your isp what the nameservers should be. The file's syntax should be:

nameserver your.isps.nameservers.ip
nameserver your.ispssecondary.nameservers.ip

For example, mine looks like this:

nameserver 68.87.66.196
nameserver 68.87.64.196

Now, ppp may also need a copy of the file in /var/run/ppp and /etc/ppp, so in a console, su to root as above and edit /etc/resolv.conf as needed by issuing the command kwrite /etc/resolv.conf make your changes that you need, save it and close the file. Then, in the console, type

cp /etc/resolv.conf /var/run/ppp <<hit enter>>

ln -s /var/run/ppp/resolv.conf /etc/ppp/resolv.conf <<hit enter>>

The last command makes a 'symlink' from /var/run/ppp/resolv.conf to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf so you won't actually have to have two different copies of it. If you edit /var/run/ppp/resolv.conf, then /etc/ppp/resolv.conf is changed as well. Then you'll have to reconnect for ppp to see it.

The second command may give you an error like this:

Error: /etc/ppp/resolv.conf file exists

If that is the case, just do

ls -l

and make sure it looks something like this:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root daemon 29 May 22 06:14 resolv.conf -> ../../var/run/ppp/resolv.conf

Hope I'm not going too fast here. :D

Edited by Steve Scrimpshire

Hi Steve

Sorry I haven't got back sooner I have been having trouble logging in to this forum, I have installed kppp and the modem connected first time but kppp statistics say it is only connected at 9600 I have the setting on 57 k but I was thinking is it because its a serial port external modem. I couldn't get into the /etc/resolv.conf file as it said permision denied. I have just bought The linux bible by Christopher negus and have been reading about Read Wright and Execute files and how to change them but i don't know how to get to the file to change it yet. I also have an internal intel 537EP modem but was told I wouldn't be able to get it working on mandrive?

Thanks i think it may take me some time to get on with linux but it looks fantastic all the things you can do with it.

I couldn't get into the /etc/resolv.conf file as it said permision denied.

don't forget that the "normal user" is not allowed to change system files by default in linux systems. if you want to change e.g. the resolv.conf file, you need to become root before being allowed to modify your system.

as already said earlier: type in the terminal "su" + enter and enter the root password afterwards. :)

As for only connecting at 9600...it has nothing to do with it being a serial modem. In my experience, serial modems are actually faster and tend to be way more stable. I think the Intel may work, but you'd be way better off sticking out to get the serial modem to work. It's probably something minor, like not having the /etc/ppp/peers/resolv.conf which is what it sounds like to me.

I went back into kppp to look at the modem settings and turned the connection speed down to selected connect at 115200 and now it connects at 115200 but that's the highest it will go which seems quite fast.

I went back to terminal window and logged back in as root and tried getting into /etc/resolv.conf which came back with permission denied so I typed chmod 777 list./etc/resolv.conf then I typed /etc/resolv.conf and it came back with this:

/etc/resolv.conf: line 1: domain: command not found

/etc/resolv.conf: line 2: search: command not found

/etc/resolv.conf: line 3: nameserver: command not found

/etc/resolv.conf: line 4: nameserver: command not found

/etc/resolv.conf: line 6: nameserver: command not found

/etc/resolv.conf: line 7: nameserver: command not found

/etc/resolv.conf: line 8: nameserver: command not found

/etc/resolv.conf: line 9: nameserver: command not found

I was trying to change the permissions but I don't really know if this was right.

Thanks for your patience with a newbie!!! :thanks: