Looking for firewall to use with 2005LE on desktop

largegroh

ok, I did all that kristi suggested. shorewall starts up, at least according to interactive list of stuff on boot. running check of file sharing gives me all stealth. running common ports gives me failure.

i have installed guarddog, trying to install again says it is already installed, but no protection apparently. I can find no where to check if it is actually running. am i missing something here? do I have to turn it on somewhere? if so, where?

thx for continuing to deal with all my questions.  :beer:  i am getting better, just slowly.

You will have to shut down shorewall before engaging guarddog:

Shut down shorewall (taks a big sledge hammer and...) in MCC, Security, Setupapersonalfirewall, check x Everything(no firewall) click OK At this point Shorewall will have removed its stuff from the iptables.

Engage guarddog: I assume you got guarddog from Simon's site. - it you got it from MCC install, go to MCC remove and remove it and go to Simon's site and get it and click it to rpm it in. In Menu, System, Configuration you will see Guarddog. Click on it. You will probably get a big window saying something.rc is missing. Click OK then the real guard configuration screen will apear. I seem to recall writing all this before - on how I set it up. So let me stop this post for the moment and see if I can find that - it should be in Tips. Will be when I'm done.

Kristi

thx for continuing to deal with all my questions.  :beer:  i am getting better, just slowly.
du rien

rats, can't find it - I'm going to start a post on installing guarddog&shorewall It will appear (be saved) in chunks so be patient It will appear in Tips because I can control it there completely. when don, I'll offer it to devries to see if security wants it. Kristi

How's it going?

Sorry:

it is supposed to create a guarddog icon in there - if not, then, right click on desktop, choose create new, file, link to application - in the application tab, command type "kdesu guarddog", click the advanced tab and advanced options button, check run as different user "root", OK, OK out and click on the desktop icon

Another way to start guarddog, as root, which you need to be to configure the firewall, is to call guarddog from a root prompt in a terminal.

• Open a terminal from System > Terminals or there might be a tv icon in the tray.
  • Type su and press Enter
  • Give the root password and press Enter
  • Type guarddog and press Enter

On the Protocol tab, with Internet Zone selected, you will need to enable (check) certain protocols to get your browser and other programs working. Under Network, DNS must be checked. Under Mail, NNTP is needed for newsservers. I enable all the POP and SMTP for email. Under file transfer, HTTP and HTTPS are needed for web browsing. FTP is for downloads. If a protocol you wish to use is not listed, you can add it under the Advanced tab and it will show up under User Defined. Leaving a protocol box blank will show Stealth but Rejected causes the firewall to send a response to the probe, making your box visible, as shown at Shields Up here: http://grc.com/default.htm