Firefox 1.0.4 install problem

bigjohn

After having moved back to Mandrake/Mandriva after a couple of mega stressful weeks at "gentoos house", I'm experiencing problems installing firefox 1.0.4 locally.

[root@localhost john]# cd /home/john/firefox-installer
[root@localhost firefox-installer]# sh firefox-installer
./firefox-installer-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No suchfile or directory
[root@localhost firefox-installer]#

I'd try "Thac" rpms if I knew what I need to use as a source (ha, if I could find them in the first place).

Perhaps someone could advise me how I "get round" this ??

regards

John

Ok, well I've sort of made some progress. I went to install Opera 8 as well, and when I downloaded that (apparently an rpm for mandrake 10.1), it installed a libstdc.5.??? as well.

This has enabled me to run the "firefox-installer", except now I can't find/locate/whereis to try and add it to a menu or make a desktop icon for it?

Any ideas ???

regards

John

firefox is where you installed it!..

in the wizard, you had got the choice of the location.

take a look in the /home/your_nickname/firefox-installer folder ...

I think it's the default installation folder.

if you want to delete it, just delete the folder.

also, i don't want to do the job for you, but there are already a lot of topic about firefox and installation issues (I personally wrote some of them) ...

just use the great 'search' function ...

for example: https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=25238

oh, and here too: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/314324

read the faq man!

cheers.

Edited by theo

Well, if any of the other stuff answered my Q, I wouldn't have posted the question in the first place theo.

Sure I get a nice "firefox-installer" directory, but I get that if I unpack the tar.gz with ark anyway.

If I then run the firefox-installer, it goes through it's nice clean graphic install routine, then promptly gives me an empty directory with no executable to start firefox.

Normally stuff gets installed and ends up being called (for example) mozilla-firefox or mozilla-thunderbird, but not in this case.

As I already mentioned, it (the system) doesn't want, or can't find it with locate, whereis or find - plus I certainly don't know enough about "this linux thing" to know what I'd write if it's some more complicated command to make it run from "link to application".

Hell, I'm make the mandrakised rpms myself, if I had the faintest idea of how!

Also, I'd like to be able to install "it" globally - but again, something doesn't seem right, though I'm probably just "missing something" here!

Hence any idea/suggestion is very much appreciated.

regards

John

Well, I did this......

[root@localhost john]# ./firefox-installer

bash: ./firefox-installer: is a directory

[root@localhost john]# cd /home/john

[root@localhost john]# ls /home/john

Desktop/  firefox-installer/  NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run  Saved stuff/  tmp/

[root@localhost john]# cd /home/john/firefox-installer

[root@localhost firefox-installer]# ./firefox-installer

[root@localhost firefox-installer]# firefox

bash: firefox: command not found

but as you can see, nothing is "erroring" out.

I used one of the many "suggestions" that said it's sensible to put it in /usr/share/firefox, which now has a seperate firefox directory (i.e. /usr/share/firefox/firefox), but that doesn't have anything hidden or otherwise in it - in otherwords, no executable of any sort.

I must be doing thing wrong somehow, but for the life of me i can't see how ???

regards

John

in a terminal, what's the output of these commands:

ls /usr/share/firefox/fire*

and

ls /usr/share/firefox/firefox/fire*

?

If there are two levels of 'firefox' directories it's because you chose it in the wizard.

I did the same error the first time; if 'firefox' is shown in the textbox, no need to select the directory 'firefox' in the list box or simply erase 'firefox' in the text box.

in a terminal, what's the output of these commands:

ls /usr/share/firefox/fire*

and

ls /usr/share/firefox/firefox/fire*

?

If there are two levels of 'firefox' directories it's because you chose it in the wizard.

I did the same error the first time; if 'firefox' is shown in the textbox, no need to select the directory 'firefox' in the list box or simply erase 'firefox' in the text box.

bash-3.00$ ls /usr/share/firefox/fire*

bash-3.00$ ls /usr/share/firefox/firefox/fire*

ls: /usr/share/firefox/firefox/fire*: No such file or directory

bash-3.00$

as you can see, the first check just dumped me back at a $ prompt and the second query, well, No such file........... etc.

Would it be worth deleting everything and starting from scratch ?????

regards

John

The weird thing is, that even though I'm getting a big load of stuff now when I do

locate firefox

for the life of me, I can't find an executable to start firefox.

So how would I get rid of everything except the tar.gz and start from scratch ???

regards

John

Ok, so I've managed to get rid of everything that relates to firefox, except the tar.gz and have unpacked the tar.gz in my home directory.

So I've just "su'd" to root and then cd'd into /home/john/firefox-installer, and then from there, done ./firefox-installer and the install graphic has started.

So, as per theos linked post, I've told the installer that it should be going to /usr/share/firefox (which incidentally doesn't/didn't exist, so the installer asked if I wanted it created, - yes).

In the terminal, it says this

[root@localhost firefox-installer]# *** nsExtensionManager::_disableObsoleteExtensions - failure, catching exception so finalize window can close

*** loading the extensions datasource

*** loading the extensions datasource

it's also opened firefox on the firefox start page, but the terminal has hung and only changes when I hit enter.

He then says about making /usr/share/firefox, well obviously I've already done that, so I skip that, then as per the instructions I do

ln -s /usr/share/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

and yes it's enabled me to be able to start firefox from a terminal.

I'd like to have it as a desktop shortcut, but If I try to make a link to application, I'm getting an error that tells me "Access denied. Could not write to /home/john/Desktop/link to Application.desktop."

How would I change it so that I can make the link to application ???

regards

John