My router PREFERS Linux?

Havin_it

'ning,

Today I'm wishing I had made my Linux partition a lot bigger than my XP one. The reason? I use a wireless home network and am a big BitTorrent fan. I've grown incredibly frustrated with my router/modem under Windows, because after a certain amount of throughput, it always 'kicks' my PC off the network, and I can only get it back by restarting it and my wireless card. That means, since this is a laptop, overnight seeding sessions end after a couple of hours and the computer goes to sleep. The same goes for any bulk downloading task - it happened during Windows Update once, which was *real* fun.

As part of my bit-by-bit migration to Linux, I installed BitTornado and tried a torrent. After a slow start (until I remembered to actually configure some ports :cheesy: ) I left it and went to bed. Got up in the morning expecting the usual, only to find I had a full CD downloaded and was still seeding like a trooper!

Since then I've done many other large DL tasks with Mandrake, and haven't been kicked once! What on earth can be the explanation for this rare bit of Linux goodness?

rare bit of Linux goodness?

What do you mean 'rare'? I have always found Linux to be rock solid in the networking department:)

Windows has a long history of going to sleep and not waking up again - check your power management settings - I used to install cash register software on networked Windows touch screens, and this was a common problem (imagine your cash register not waking up when you have a queue of customers...) We just used to tell it never to go to sleep and the problem was solved.

Chris

No, even if I staple its eyelids open (metaphorically speaking), it still gets kicked and I just have a very hot machine in the morning.

But what's the key? Is Windows running other services over the net that the router might not like? Is UPnP to blame? Or is it something totally different in the TCP/IP stack (I've heard of this but don't really know what the term means...)

I used to have lots of probs with dl's. I would get errors in the Event Log relating to problems with the TCP/IP getting to maximum connections or something. I just kinda lived with it. At least until now I'm using an alternative OS for it.

I always turned of UPNP though as I'm not using it anyway. Dunno if that helps!

Some other things I turned off was the service for wdfmgr.exe if you see this running in your task list. Windows User Mode Driver Framework or something. You don't need it, so I just stop and disable.

The other, is because SP2 used to crash my machine because of an app that it didn't like (ad blocker), I turned off DEP too. Not in the GUI, but edit boot.ini and replace "OptIn" with "AlwaysOff". I don't run scripts attached to spam emails or open dodgy stuff anyway, so it's no risk to me to disable it.

Edited by ianw1974

Funnily enough I'm just looking at Azureus now ... I tried it a year or 2 ago on Windows and it sucked, but it looks a lot better now. I'm using ABC on Windows now, which sadly is only beta for Linux. LOL... isn't it normally the other way round?

Well, about time I installed the JRE for Linux - here goes...