Basics: Sensors - a very simple example

kristi

Hello everyone.

Have followed your recommendations and installed ksensors and lm-sensors.

I have two temperatures now showing in the dock as I desire. 

The only problem is that the CPU temp is shown as Mainboard temp  and the Mainboard temp is shown as CPU temp.  Fortunately in dock, there is no title to the temp readings so it is not an issue.

However if I setup a panel then it is a problem since the readings are titled.

See the two snapshots enclosed.

I have confirmed this by checking the BIOS readings.  Obviously the CPU temp would not be less than the Mainboard temp.

Anyone got an idea or two here on this one ????

Cheers.                        John.

Just ignore it. You'll notice that you can change the label of each - just change it to what's right. Some windows sensor proggies used to just say "sensor1, sensor2,..." I think they are right for this mobo, but my old kts5a or whatever the heck it was, was reversed. It's getting hard not to look at the motherboard pile over at the local Micro Center when I wander over there. I'd love to go 64bit and sata, but I need it like a hole in the head, but TOYS!!!!!!!!! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice tip. I tried to do this under 10.0 and never quite got it working.

That said, I get some VERY weird and wacky values. Basically, if these are true, I should be running around with a fire extinguisher rather than typing this. Take a look at these:

it87-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
VCore 1:   +1.71 V  (min =  +1.42 V, max =  +1.57 V)   ALARM
VCore 2:   +2.56 V  (min =  +2.40 V, max =  +2.61 V)
+3.3V:     +2.59 V  (min =  +3.14 V, max =  +3.46 V)   ALARM
+5V:       +1.67 V  (min =  +4.76 V, max =  +5.24 V)   ALARM
+12V:      +6.72 V  (min = +11.39 V, max = +12.61 V)   ALARM
-12V:     -18.77 V  (min = -12.63 V, max = -11.41 V)   ALARM
-5V:       -6.30 V  (min =  -5.26 V, max =  -4.77 V)   ALARM
Stdby:     +2.28 V  (min =  +4.76 V, max =  +5.24 V)   ALARM
VBat:      +3.07 V

Just look at those voltages! -18.77V on the -12V line; +1.67V on the +5V line. No way those are right, unless everything I know about electronic system design is wrong (it could happen...) Also:

fan1:     2556 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, div = 8)
fan2:        0 RPM  (min =  664 RPM, div = 8)          ALARM
fan3:        0 RPM  (min =  664 RPM, div = 8)          ALARM
M/B Temp:    +54°C  (low  =   +15°C, high =   +40°C)   sensor = diode
CPU Temp:   +127°C  (low  =   +15°C, high =   +45°C)   sensor = thermistor
Temp3:       +63°C  (low  =   +15°C, high =   +45°C)   sensor = thermistor

It seems pretty obvious that the thermistor labelled CPU Temp is disconnected - my guess Temp3 is CPU temp, but even so it seems pretty high. It's fairly warm in here, but not that warm.

Any ideas?

it sounds like it is not the right module for your hardware.

redo the sensors-detect without "ISA adapter" searches.

if it doesn't work, try to find on google the right module for your hardware (search on your M/B brand and chip).

you can change the default module in the file /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors.

in my case, I had to add a MODULE line because my hardware was not deteted by the sensors-detect script (the old version did that correctly, not the new one :huh:).

in your case, you probably will have to change MODULE_X=NOT_YOUR_CHIPSET by another one, i.e., MODULE_X=YOUR_CHIPSET.

good luck.

Sellis, what's your mobo and sensor chip?

Yeah, this is one of the reasons that I don't mess with much other than the CPU temp - I check the voltages (rarely) in the bios on the "health" screen. Onec you determine that a PS has good voltages, they are unlikely to change. That is, of course, ignoring the ps, whose fans stopped, and put out pretty clouds of acrid smoke - voltages were still good, though, right up till the last sec, then It recycled the mobo and tried to go again. I've also had problems with fans on sensors, where the fan trips the sensor, but if I look at the fan it is doing quite nicely. Some fans also require a divider of 2 or 4 or something to read accurately - this is determined by the highly reliable guessometric system. Some boards I have had (mention no names had terrible (low) voltage regulation - couldn't OC the memory worth a damn. This mobo is tops, though - takes abuse and keeps on ticking!

Kristi

Sellis: before you change anything check your bios. If it gives the same readings lm_sensors is setup correctly. Don't pay attention to the height of the number. Just note the difference between the temp at low cpu use and max cpu use. (mine says 70 (same as the bios) and at max cpu it hits 75 (and when it hits 80 the fan is broken :) )

Kristi: system monitor is a kkicker applet. It's in the kdeaddons package I believe. It's spring here too. (Though only 15C. Stupid Dutch weather)

I just tried the kdeaddons install and frankly, for me, the systems monitor is a useless utility.

The kde-sensors makes a lot more sense and is much more user friendly.

The only trouble I have with it at the moment, is even though I have selected "start up at boot" it still does not auto start thus requiring restarting each time I log in or out. Any one know the answer to this. I have hunted through but can't find where this instruction would be placed.

I found it easier by the way to make the change for reversing the CPU M/B figures in /.kde/share/config/ksensorsrc. Trying to make the change in /etc/sensors.conf is more difficult because it trys to be all things to everything and has a mass of text to sift through to find the precise place to put the change. Apparently the sensor reversal is a known problem for the Asus A7V600-X. Probably another example of not sticking to norms or standards.

Cheers. John.

John, I did use MCC to grab kdeaddons, but it took me several minutes to realize that the kkicker applet was actually called "system monitor" as devries had called it and was sitting there in applets (rightclick on taskbar, add, applet, and system monitor is sitting right there.click on it and it starts up in the taskbar every time.

devries: thanks!!! For some reason, I do not get a bar for swap - possibly because I set my swapability down to 10 and have 768mb ram, so I don't expect it would ever use it, but the empty space looks kind of lonely there ;) What are you using for watching net traffic? is that what that left pointing arrow is in your system bar? Also, using the basic display, now with Nuvola theme icons, I have verticle bars that appear between the quickstart and the tasks, the tasks and the kkicker, the kkicker and the system bar, and the system bar and my clock. I notice you don't have those and I wonder if you could help me get rid of them.My Webpage [ EDIT - got it - in the depths of taskbar configuration! ]

15C Dutch weather - yup, cold and humid up there by the north sea. Stay warm and toasty!!! :D

But that makes me realize that your 70 for your CPU is probably 70C - gleep - and I'm sure you have tried differend sensor chips in the monitoring software. At onw time it was going around that the board sensors were way inaccurate and bought myself a little $7 temp sensor, chopped a 1/4' slot in the side of my cpu shim and stuck it in there - it gave me a temp within a deg or 2 of the mobo sensor.

peas!

Kristi

For nettraffic: knemo (the 2 blue monitors icon). Iit's a kde system service. Install it: urpmi knemo. Open kde control center, kde components, system services, select kneme and press start)

The arrow is to show hidden systray icons (kde (or rather qt) can't do autohide). See the sreenshot. To configure right click the applet handle (the little black arrows on the vericle 'bars'. To remove these rightclick kicker, choose configure panel, tab view, advanced settings, choose applethandle 'hidden'.

I notice you are using the 'normal' taskbar (that doesn't do transparency) with a transparent panel. There is http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=16261 that you can use to replace it with. (see second screenshot)

Temperature: I have never experienced lockups with this PC in the 5 years I've owned it except when the temp hit 80. I've always assumed the readouts weren't correct but never checked it. Knock wood. :)

Dutch weather: it stinks

post-2019-1116916071_thumb.jpg

post-2019-1116916498_thumb.jpg

In case my question got lost in my earlier post reference ksensors:

"The only trouble I have with it at the moment, is even though I have selected "start up at boot" it still does not auto start thus requiring restarting each time I log in or out. Any one know the answer to this. I have hunted through but can't find where this instruction would be placed."

Maybe someone has an idea ???

Cheers. John.

In case my question got lost in my earlier post reference ksensors:

"The only trouble I have with it at the moment, is even though I have selected "start up at boot" it still does not auto start thus requiring restarting each time I log in or out. Any one know the answer to this. I have hunted through but can't find where this instruction would be placed."

Maybe someone has an idea ???

Cheers.                John.

Just copy ksensors from

/usr/bin to /home/<user>/.kde/Autostart

They will start when kde for that user starts

Kristi

Edited by kristi

Thanks Adam for responding.

I am not having any trouble getting the temperature readings into ksensor as you can see in the enclosed snapshot. In the snapshot you can also see that I have created a ksensor icon on the panel. I did this because ksensor is not being activated at KDE Startup . This is despite the fact that I have selected the option of [/b]Autostart KSensors on KDE Startup in KSensors Configure. lm_sensors is set to activate at boot ok as set in MCC->Systems->Services.

I have checked that the two temperature readings are the same as registered in the BIOS, and they are.

Any ideas ???

Cheers. John.