Basics: 2005LE Mandriva install with Nvidia driver

kristi

noobs: Have you checked MUB forum Frequently Asked Questions and How To's, and Tips and Tricks ? Use MUB search if you can. You'll save yourself time and frustration. Read tips and faqs - there's a wealth of info in there!!!!!!! If you're reading my stuff, don't assume I didn't make a typo!!! - ask me PM. :cheesy:

GET THE DISTRO : download 2005, or whatever iso, and install and burn it to a CD - Check the MD5SUMs - I always do this under Linux with k3b which has a nice sum checker. I always use Azureus to download because you can restart a download. Bittorrent and Azureus instructions are elsewhere.

MANDRIVA INSTALL : Stick the CD or DVD in and boot from it and install Mandriva. Take the defaults unless you know what you are doing. I recommend security Standard, not High. Don't forget to configure your mouse. Also, when configuring your video, choose monitor VENDOR and pick your monitor vendor and then pick the model you have, then pick the res you want. At the end, it will tell you to reboot (don't forget to take your install disk out for the boot. put it right back in after it boots. This will boot to a level 3 command line and ask you for a logon. Login with root, enter your password, and type kde and hit enter. This will take you to a root kde GUI screen .

EASYURPMI : Use firefox or konqueror (in menu, internet) to access http://www.mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/

choose Mandriva version 2005 and select your architecture (usually i586)

CLICK ON THE BUTTON that says "click toproceed to step 2".

Choose the 6 mirrors that you want and make sure to put a checkmark by each if it doesn't do so automatically.

CLICK ON THE BUTTON that says "click to proceed to step 3".

A whole bunch (6) of lines will appear in the black background. Copy them all to a root console. They will start processing. Here you will learn that some mirrors are much faster than others. Don't forget to hit enter so the last line will process.

GET WHAT YOU WANT : go to MCC (menu,system,configuration,Configure your Computer) It will dump you in software management which is where you want to be. [i find Kaffeine's desire to start whenever I stick in a CD and stay running when it's done to be damn anoying so I delete it. Others here love it! If you choose to delete it, click on the top right icon to "uninstall software packages", search on the name kaffein, select what you want to remove, and click remove. When that is done, click Quit and it will bounce you back to MCC.

GET STUFF: click the top left icon to "install software packages"

search on:

source ...and check the 2.6.11.6 kernel source (or whichever one you want.)

sensors ...and check lm_sensors and ksensors (often a little box will pop up saying it needs something additional - click OK)

load ...and check kcpuload and knetload

tvtime ...and check it

xine ...and check 99ui

libdvdcss ...and check it

mplayer ...and check the plugin. then check the matching gui (the rest will be auto checked.)

pan ...and check it (it's 3/4 of the way down the list)(nice NNTP newsreader.

klibido ...if you need to use nzb files

archive ...and check karchive and parchive2

thunderbird ...and check the one you want - usually the top one.

games ...I check kdegames v3

[grab whatever else you think you will want]

click Install (go have coffee)(mmm - good idea!!!)

GET NVIDIA DRIVER: While that is chugging, use your browser of choice to go to

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp choose Graphics Driver, GeForce, Linux IA32 (or whatever, and click GO. Part way down the next page grab

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run

I save mine in a user folder cause I'm always reinstalling somthing.

(7174ONLY - in a root konqueror (you ARE in root, remember!!!), right click on the NVIDIA module, select properties and check "executable". For some reason, this one came through w/o that checked.)

I then copy that to the root folder.

[a root konqueror is easily made in user : drag konqueror from menu internet browsers to the task bar. Right click it and choose properties. choose the Application tab and make the command look like

kdesu konqueror

Go back to the first tab and click on the icon and choose a big red X or something so you will never forget this is a root konqueror.]

After MCC installs are done, logout of root : menu, logout. this will drop you to a prompt. You are still in root, but no GUI! neato!!!

Type ls (thats LS (phonetically: ell ess) in small letters) .

Your NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run will be sitting there along with a tad of other stuffs.

INSTALL NVIDIA DRIVER :

This assumes you are already at a root prompt and the NVIDIA driver is also in root and has been set executable!!!!! type

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7174-pkg1.run and hit enter.

on the first prompt, hit left arrow to choose accept and hit enter.

hit enter at the next two questions.

It will slowly build the driver. it will more rapidly build another module. It will then tell you the NVIDIA driver is installed - hit OK

[guote] if you have an eror, type

"rpm -qa | grep kernel" without the quotes, and ask for help and give the answer to that command.

but if OK, then

Follow these directions exactly - I did actually check them for typos :cheesy:

1 ) Change the line in /etc/inittab the one that says:

id:3:initdefault: ...make it say:

id:5:initdefault: ...this will cause you to boot next time to a level 5 which is defined as a GUI (KDE)

2 ) ADD a line to /etc/modprobe.preload that says nothing but

nvidia

3 ) Change /etc/X11/xorg.conf where it says

"nv" to:

"nvidia" (keep the quotes that are there in the file)

In the mouse section, change "6 7" to "4 5" .

SENSORS: for a basic intro go to https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=25579 "BASIC: Sensors - a very simple example. in MUB Tips and Tricks

If no joy, post a specific question to MUB!

:D

Kristi ...(don't you just love that line: "kernel: nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel." :cheesy:

(PM me for changes or additions to this)

Edited by kristi

if you have an eror, type

"rpm -qa | grep kernel" without the quotes, and ask for help and give the answer to that command.

=> urpmi kernel-source & uname -r (I think it's to describe).

Anyway, great work kristi :headbang:

Edited by kristi

if you have an eror, type

=> urpmi kernel-source & uname -r (I think it's to describe).

Anyway, great work kristi :headbang:

not sure what you're saying... typo maybe?

Right! 1. load the kernel source, and 2. check the name of the kernel you're using

and that is the info I would need - note, both are the same in the last example.

THANKS!!!

I wanted to say that if the user doesn't yet installed the kernel source, he has to know the kernel version: uname -r

my output: 2.6.11-6mdk

then, if I didn't already installed the kernel source, I should do this:

urpmi kernel-source-2.6-2.6.11-6mdk

And the reason is because you need the kernel source to install the nVidia drivers.

yop, that's all ;)

Yesterday, a friend of mine who had trouble to install the nvidia Club packages (via the 2005LE DVD) invited me to a remote administration of his PC. While the other two packages installed fine, dkms-nvidia-7174-1mdk failed to initialize at startup. After toying with it for a while and getting tired, I installed the NVIDIA*.run package on more or less the same steps as suggested above, and everything worked great!

Not sure what's wrong with the DVD/Club nvidia packages, and i do not care so much either...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest yodaky
Please note, as of Mandriva 2005A (KDE 3.4 Club release)  the release includes the latest Nvidia drivers already installed!

Kristi

I have tried the all of the above with mandrake 10.1 and cannot for the life of me get passed the MMC setup. This is what I recieve when I enter the code from the URPMI page:

[root@localhost matt]# urpmi.removemedia -a
unable to access hdlist file of "Installation DVD (cdrom1)", medium ignored
removing medium "Installation DVD (cdrom1)"
urpmi database locked
[root@localhost matt]# urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/plf/mandrake/free/10.2 with hdlist.cz
added medium plf-free
urpmi database locked
[root@localhost matt]#  urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/plf/mandrake/non-free/10.2 with hdlist.cz
added medium plf-nonfree
urpmi database locked
[root@localhost matt]#  urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://helios.dii.utk.edu/pub/linux/Mandrake/official/updates/LE2005/main_updates/ with media_info/hdlist.cz
added medium updates
urpmi database locked
[root@localhost matt]#  urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/Mandrakelinux/official/2005/i586/media/main with media_info/hdlist.cz
added medium main
urpmi database locked
[root@localhost matt]#  urpmi.addmedia contrib http://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/official/2005/i586/media/contrib with media_info/hdlist.cz
added medium contrib
urpmi database locked
[root@localhost matt]#  urpmi.addmedia jpackage ftp://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/2005/i586/media/jpackage with media_info/hdlist.cz
added medium jpackage
urpmi database locked

any thoughts? Before I could see packages that were already listed from the install but when I told it to install, for instance the kernel source, it tried to make me load the DVD into my CD drive which obviously cant read DVD's. Something has been screwy from the install which I did a few hours ago and have changed nothing except the resolution lol. Any thoughts?

any thoughts? Before I could see packages that were already listed from the install but when I told it to install, for instance the kernel source, it tried to make me load the DVD into my CD drive which obviously cant read DVD's. Something has been screwy from the install which I did a few hours ago and have changed nothing except the resolution lol. Any thoughts?

Hi and welcome.

a.) I never tried it with 10.1

b.) I notice some of your messages have "10.2" in them. redo your easyurpmi by first going to MCC , software management, "select from where software packages are downloaded..." and removing all lines except your CDs and/or DVDs . Then go to easyurpmi and manke sure you have selected either 10.1 official or community, click on the "proceed to step 2" button, look at the result to make sure there's no 10.2 stuff in there. Copy that to a root terminal and let it run. Don't forget to press return again for the last one. Then try again.

Is there any reason why you're not using 10.2 aka 2005LE ?

hth

Kristi

Edited by kristi

Guest yodaky

ima newb lol i just saw 10.1 and downloaded since i did not know the difference in the LE and some of the other things. my comp crashed yesterday so i did a complete reinstall of xp and decided to use my second drive for a linux distro. i havent used linux in a few years so ill prolly have a few questions around here lol.

i did however get the easyurpmi stuff to work properly and am going to attempt to install the nvidia driver again.