removing software

DoctorKaos

(Since this post isn't strictly about Mandrake I wasn't sure where to put it, so I'll post it here)

To install or remove software I use the Software Manager.

Sometimes, after installing something, I proceed to remove it but

the Manager tells me that it will remove a whole bunch of other

stuff supposedly associated with it which I'm quite sure should NOT be removed.

So, what's the deal here?

There is some software I have no need of taking up room on my hd

and I dare not remove it.

P.S.: Sorry, but I don't do "make" ( hence, the Software Manager )

If you use KDE you can try Kpackage ( configuration,packaging ) you have the option there to remove files without checking dependencies, but you still need to be careful. It depends on what your trying to uninstall. Software manager can be buggy, you try to remove the gimp for instance, and it says half your system has to go as well, obviously wrong, it doesn't. Thats where Kpackage is handy. Of course, if you try to delete KDE or GNOME, then loads of stuff will have to go with it.

Hi.

No, it's not anything major like KDE.

The odd games, some little bitty app I'll try out and decide

I have no use for it after all, etc.

I do use Kpackage sometimes, and yes I agree, Software Manager

is a bit buggy, but it has some features that I like. So I use it anyways.

Ok, so if I use Kpackager, I just make sure that it won't check

dependencies, and it should remove only what I say it should, right?

To be safe, I would remove software primarily using an su to root.

Even if you don't chose to type in the "forced" flag, it tends to unistall more cleanly using rpm -e XXXXXXX than using Software Manager or even Kpackage.

All the more reason to respect the power of the command line I guess.

Thanks all, but these kinds of statements...

"(and don't go shooting the console, its invaluable)"

"All the more reason to respect the power of the command line I guess."

...are the kinds of statements that make Bill Gates sleep peacefully at night.

If you want to cut M$ down to size, replace the wretched console with blinkin' lights and pretty buttons.

Fight fire with fire.

The beauty of Linux is that we can have BOTH the pretty blinky buttons AND the highly functional command prompt...

As far as the bugginess of not being able remove packages effectively,... that's just an example of a work in progress.

Linux currently is at about the level of sophistication and development in terms of GUI usability that Win 95 was at. It is quickly getting to the level of Win 98 and beyond in those terms. Since Win Me & XPee were a step backward in usability, Linux is quickly catching up.

But in Terms of overall OS features, like scalability, Multithreading, stability, networking capability, security, efficiency, configurability, and raw amount of features, Linux kicks Windoze arse hands down.

....hmmm how exactly are you going to give all the diff commandline options/parameters/syntax's ect...with buttons and lights? You can't...unless you want 100 buttons in 1 window, then by the time you read and find the one you want, you could have typed it in a term 5 times...thus the need for a term. To attempt to cut dowm M$ to size with your lights and buttons approach wouldn't get linux anywhere. The users wouldn't know what buttons to push :roll:

JaseP, you are preaching to the already converted.

I started out with w98se, and had it mastered after one year of using it.

I've been using Linux for about one year now, and every day I'm

amazed at how superior an os it is over windows.

Also, I don't have a problem with the existence of the console, and with people prefering to use it over guis.

I simply think that Linux will always intimidate the weak and apathetic masses as long as the specter of the console looms over it, and that M$ will always profit by that.

And bvc, sorry but I totally disagree.

You may be a priviledged motivated and intelligent individual who has no problem getting off your butt and learning, but it is not the case with the average Joe. M$ knows that all too well, and exploits it as much as it can.

When it comes to a choice between the command line and lots of buttons, Joe Public will always prefer buttons.

In fact, the more buttons there are, the happier he will be.

As for me, I want my computer to be my slave. Not I to it. So yes! Buttons, buttons and more buttons! (and pretty blinkin' lights too, while we're at it)

Now, can I have my simple question answered please.

Can I safely remove unwanted software with Kpackage (that's Kpackage, not Software Manager), if I make sure that Kpackage does not check for dependencies?

Thank you.