GTK Font Problem [solved]

ianw1974

Everytime I start my system, any apps I run that run with the GTK fonts are always small.

Then, after I run gnome-font-properties, they return to normal size.

How can I get the system to remember the size permanently?

I'm running KDE, and the other fonts are fine. It's just anything that works with gtk fonts.

I would like to know too ...

In your case, under KDE, you can add in /home/user/.kde/Autostart a (sym) link that points to /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon ...

My wish is that it is (auto) launched before a session (not at the start up of a session but after GDM/XDM/KDM) but I gave up after 1001 tests ...

Maybe there's a way to add it as a service? chkconfig add or similar perhaps?

Just a thought.....I've just logged in as root as well (well su to be precise), to see if when I set it here, whether the system remembers them. I'll post back in a sec after I reboot.

Further note, doesn't remember that my keyboard is supposed to be BRITISH! Keeps reverting back to US format everytime I reboot.

":@:"#%:$"%:

Solved it now. I've found the font problem was prob due to missing gnome components. I reinstalled it all from scratch just to make sure and found since I have KDE and Gnome installed it's all working fine.

Before I didn't have gnome, and that is why I had all the probs methinks!

Actually, here is the proper solution. I found that after I installed some development apps, it went screwy again. I'm not sure, but I think fontconfig or libfontconfig might have something to do with the problem.

Anyway, since I had Gnome installed as a desktop GUI this time, I logged into Gnome, set all the settings I wanted (keyboard, font sizes), saved it when I logged out.

Then when I went into KDE, I had to use the Autostart Theo mentioned earlier, and all is well. The fonts are perfect!

So if that helps Theo, go for it! Although, Gnome does take up a lot of space, so depends on whether you think it's worth it?!?