10.1 does not recognize NIC card [solved]

Guest chalmen

Guest chalmen

My network interface card is a D-Link DE-220P which is compatible according to the Mandriva web site but the program will not recognize it.

In control center, I go to "Internet Access" and get the message that I have no configured internet connection.

I go to "Cable connection" because I have a cable company service.

I get a message to select a network interface to configure but only one option to "Manually load a driver" and have tried "ne" and "tulip" as per other messages on the internet but nothing works.

In the control center I go to "Hardware" and find no network card is indicated.

Can anyone help?

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

Open a console and type: lspci -v. That will give you the exact infromation needed to find the module (driver) for your card. If you can't set it up with the MCC try it by hand (modprobe <module name>, ifconfig (eth0,1,2) up)

Good luck.

I hope this is of some use, I heard somewhere that with broadband connections you have to set up the lan as opposed to the cable modem. Whether this is of use to you I do not know as I am a total noob with a polluted mind (been using windze for far too long, struggling to lose the grip it has on me.......I will return to the good side of the force, mark my words......sorry took that too far!)

Cheers

Yes, use the LAN option, not the Cable one. The cable one is for people who are connecting directly to a cable modem via USB or in some other odd way. If you use a router or a cable connection which just plugs into a network card and works like any other LAN connection, you use the LAN option. Looks like a LAN, walks like a LAN, quacks like a LAN - it's a LAN. ;)

Guest chalmen

I'm trying!!

Thank you very much. I tried using the "lan" option but the program still does not recognize the D-Link network card.

I did type in lspci -v. That brought up a list of stuff but the D-Link card was not among them.

I typec in the following:

modprobe d-link de-220p, ifconfig (eth0,1,2)up)

the answer was

bash: syntax error near unexpected token '('

Do you have any further thoughts on this?

When you type

lspci -v

It may not show you specifically the D-Link card, but you should see it as an ethernet controller and it may just tell you the chipset. Judgng from the fact that you don't see it under hardware in mcc, though, I would say lspci -v does not see it see it either. Under hardware in mcc, do you see what might be it under Unknown/Other?

Post the whole output of lspci -v and maybe we can help more.

Tip: To copy text from the console and paste it here, just left-click drag to highlight and then come here and middle click in your post. Or an easy way would be to type

lspci -v > lspci.txt

And then come here and attach lspci.txt to your post. :D

I think that's an old isa nic so it won't be listed on the pci bus. Please confirm. If so, you may be able to get it to work but legacy isa devices can be a pain in linux. You may just want to get a modern pci nic for $10 rather than mess with it.

If you want to try and get it running, I googled and found this on your card:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ar...004/01/2/134509

So, apparently, if it's the isa card, it uses the "ne" driver/module. To test, run as root:

# modprobe ne

# ifconfig

If you get an entry for eth0, it's probably the right driver and the eth0 interface is working. We can then work on configuring the connection by hand if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chalmen

Taking Pmpatric's advice, I obtained another network interface card and it worked fine. Thank you all for your advice; your all great. I'll be back for more help.