DVD Movies

Guest skhan

Guest skhan

Good day folks, I am very new to linux so installing software on linux somewhat of a mystery to me. I have madrake 10.1 installed on a laptop. I am trying to play my dvd movies and I realized that I needed to download a DVD player. Mplayer was highly recommend by other folks. So I am trying to install it and use the gui. It tells me I need a bunch of other packages on so. Can anyone tell me or guide me to where I can get step instruction to accomplish this and all the resource necessay etc.

Thanks much.

[moved from Everything Linux by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

A lot of this has ben discussed elsewhere, but since yo're new, I'll help you out here.

There is one rule before I help. If I say something that doesn't make sense, or that you don't understand, you've got to ask. We all asked the stupid questions once too.

To play DVD's, you need two things, a player that's capable of plyaing them, like totem, mplayer or xine (personaly I rpefer XINE for dvd's)

And the second thing you need is a library to decode them. For a lot of different reasons, the decoder can't be included on the Mandiva/Mandrake DVD's.

At the very top of this page, you'll see a link for something called 'Easy-urpmi' Follow that link, and just follow the directions on that page to add mirrors for contrib, plf-free and plf-non-free.

Now comes the installing software in linux part. Installing software in Mandriva couldn't be easier. Open up the Mandriva Control Center (mcc in a console as root ) You'll see the software installer from there. Once you've set up the contrib and plf mirrors, you should see mplayer in the software list, and when you select it, it will automaticaly select and install everything that mplayer needs. (I still prefer xine)

After you've chosen and installed a player, you'll still need that decoder. It's called dvdcss. Just select it out tof the list and you're on your way.

First go here:

easyurpmi.zarb.org

and set all the repos that match your 10.1, including PLF ones. Refresh your repos, and the a simple "urpmi mplayer win32-codecs libcss0" in a root console should be enough. This is for mplayer- but you can also use vlc or xine or a xine frontend, like kaffeine... both are fine once you install all their plugins and codecs.

Also regarding mplayer, many people prefer to get the full codecs package from the mplayer site (its a simple 12.5 MB .tar.bz2 package) and extract it to /usr/lib/win32 instead of getting a possibly crippled RPM package, due to obscure patent violation worries.

Edited by scarecrow

Guest skhan

Thanks Veedub,

Everthing seems straight forward except when I type the uprmi ...... command this comes up

added medium contrib

retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "contrib"...

ftp://mandrake.contactel.cz/Mandrakelinux..._info/hdlist.cz

...retrieving failed: curl: (56) FTP response reading failed

retrieval of source hdlist (or synthesis) failed

no hdlist file found for medium "contrib"

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.contrib.cz]

problem reading synthesis file of medium "contrib"

unable to update medium "contrib"

Now i am behind a proxy that requires authentication so I suspect that causing the problem but just wanna check you folks incase.

I also tried the removemedia command

Thanks

Now i am behind a proxy that requires authentication so I suspect that causing the problem but just wanna check you folks incase.

most likely, it's just a simple issue of a bad server. Try going through easy urpmi again, and this time select a different server. The list is never perfect.

Guest skhan
most likely, it's just a simple issue of a bad server.  Try going through easy urpmi again, and this time select a different server.  The list is never perfect.

Arrgh!! I have tried about 6 or 7 different servers they all give me the same error... this is not turning out to be as easy as I thought. I am getting more and more fedup of MS... and I reeeeealy want to try something different... the agony!!!

Thanks for all the help so far.

Well, the big advantage to xine is that it's on the CD's, so it's as easy as it coudl possibly be to install. Just open up the mcc again and go to software instalation and search for xine. There are MANY packages with xine in the name, you'll just have to sift throught he descriptions to find the player.

Guest skhan

Got it!!!! Thanks much VeeDubb... I can't believe it was that simple.

I would still like to get that urpmi package thing working so I will do some more digging.

Thanks again.