ssh problems after update to LE2005

Hi all,

I have updated two 10.1 boxes to LE2005 recently, with varying results. One worked ok (the only problem was that wmCalClock has changed name....). On the second one some weird things are happening.

Any attempt to use ssh to connect somewhere else force the use of ssh-askpass to ask for the passkey (or password) opening up a small X11 window. According to the ssh man page, ssh does this if it is not running in a terminal..... except that I AM running it in a terminal.... If I run it from the console then it fails completely, refusing to ask me any passphrase of password. Some google searching reveals that it may be a permission problem, but I checked the configuration and everything looks ok. Even more absurd, everything looks identical on the two boxes I upgraded!! I checked all the standard udev config files as well as /etc/security to see that the permissions are correctly set when logging in. Everything looks the same on the two machines.

I'm planning to do a fresh reinstall, which is annoying because I'll have to reconfigure everything, but it really looks absurd to be forced to reinstall for a small problem like this...... any suggestion on where I may look or anything I should check?

TIA

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Thanks for your answer: I uninstalled/reinstalled all the openssh and openssl packages, but nothing changes. I'll try to check exactly what the ownership of the ttys is on the two boxes, to see if I can spot any difference. What I find strange is that now I'm on X11 and the dev/pts ownership is identical on the two, so it cannot be this. Any idea on how exactly ssh determines which terminal it's running on? I've tried to run it with maximum verbosity, but I can't find any line relative to attempts of accessing the terminal.

BTW I found another problem with ssh-add, the passphrase is echoed onscreen, which is very bad behaviour! I think the origin in the same, i.e. not being able to access the terminal options to switch echo off.

Sometimes I hate updates :(

For anyone interested: the problem is with the permssions of /dev/tty. On a working box, it's:

[crw-rw-rw-  1 root tty 5, 0 May 23 10:33 /dev/tty

on the one where ssh can't open the terminal it was:

crw-rw----  1 root root 5, 0 May 23 12:32 tty

I've not yet found out why it ended up like this, but I'll keep looking....

Smells like devfs / udev !

Check lilo.conf to see if it's using devfs. If it is, it'll contain the kernel parameter 'devfs=mount'. Change this to devfs=nomount , make sure the udev package is installed and the udev service is set to start at boot, run lilo as root, reboot.