Does MDK 10.0 have problems that 10.1 doesn't?

raysr

I have tried to install 10.1 with 2 different sets of discs, both purchased, on two different drives and 10.1 hangs on boot in the same place with both cds and both drives. I think it was when it reached "checking hardware". So I have seen other users with this exact problem but never saw a fix. Question: Is there a fix? Question: Does MDK 10 have less troubles than 10.1? I used MDK 9.2 for 2 years w/o any problems except some software issues. Thanks in advance.

1. There's lot's of fixes because the problem you described, is actualy a symptom, not a problem, and it can be caused by many different problems. It's frequently a problem with APIC/ACPI, incompatable hardware or bad media. You should post in the isntall forum because there's guys who frequent that forum who are better at install debugging than I am.

2. As for which version has more or less problems, this really depends on the exact configuration of your machine. For some people, 10.0 was better, for many others, 10.1 was the best of the two. The unfortunate truth is that the only way to be sure which will work better for you is to try them both and find out.

Alternatively, you might try the latest verion. I've been suggesting this to a lot of people lately, and most have had at least some improvement. The lates version, is called Mandriva Limited Edition 2005. If you've been out of touch, you should note that Mandrake, for a number of reasons, has been renamed Mandriva. Of course, switching to 2k5 (a.k.a. 10.2) is no more a guarantee of better functionality than switching back to 10.0

Thanks for the reply. I have been searching for a copy of 10 Discovery to try as 9.2 Discovery was quite a bit better than the download version (more drivers etc.) . I guess I'll try the installlation forum before I try again.

I lived in Monmouth in 1981.

I would really discourage you from using discovery. I know that they try to market discovery to 'new' users, but it'sr eally limited, and missing a lot of basic software. you should check out http://www.cheapbytes.com if the more complete set's from the mandriva store are too expensive for you.

Oh, and sorry for the suggestion you post in the isntall forum. I see we're already there. I was just looking throught the days new posts.