This looks promising

Not me, anyway.

The source based distro philosophy is simply flawed, and I wouldn't care less about a graphical installer (ncurses is OK, but anything more than that plain eyecandy with no real functionality.

How is a source based distro's philosophy flawed?

[justin@neo installer]$ more README

Gentoo Linux Installer README

Copyright 2004 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.

$Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo/src/installer/README,v 1.3 2004/04/11 21:47:21 esammer Exp $

The Gentoo Linux Installer (or GLI) is a consistent installer for all

architectures supported by Gentoo itself. The final installer will support

multiple UIs including plain text, curses, GTK, Qt, and others.

Guess it would work for you since it will have plain text & curses!!!! :D

Edited by cybrjackle

Simply put there is absolutely no performance gain over a CPU optimized binary distro- in fact dubious cflags often end up to a not-so-fast system, and the idea of changing your compiler flags for certain packages is plain unsound. All you can gain by using Gentoo instead of a good binary distro (with a decent binaries repo) is long compilation times, and nothing more than that. Add also that installing software on Gentoo is really easy, but removing certain packages is a huge pain in the...

Simply put there is absolutely no performance gain over a CPU optimized binary distro- in fact dubious cflags often end up to a not-so-fast system, and the idea of changing your compiler flags for certain packages is plain unsound. All you can gain by using Gentoo instead of a good binary distro (with a decent binaries repo) is long compilation times, and nothing more than that. Add also that installing software on Gentoo is really easy, but removing certain packages is a huge pain in the...

Not quite, there are some small performance improvements you do gain by optimising for your specific CPU architecture. For example Arch is compiled for i686, meaning it will run on Pentium II and above. There are reasons why you get improvements, like newer 'features' in CPUs such as SSE and other stuff.

But imho, the benefits arent worth compiling the whole system from scratch.

FX, yep, works pretty good, I wouldn't think anyone can use it to install gentoo.

Iphitus, is right as far as how the distro builds against, fedora for example uses pentium4

CFLAGS:--O2 -g -pipe -m32 -march=i386 -mtune=pentium4

It will work on a 386, but its ready to rip on a p4. I think Gentoo adds more than what the noobies to Gentoo think it's all about (ricing) Portage is a good tool and doesn't break most of the time. However, my main box's run Fedora/CentOS because I just happen to like a lot of the things they do/include by default. You can't really tweak the crap out of x86_64, no distro is going to be using march=i386, so wasting compile time really doesn't make sense :P

I couldn't get it to work. Not sure what I did wrong. Maybe sometime this weekend cybr if you have time we can get into chat.

I went through everything and the screen flashed like and said system installed. Went back to the Gentoo boot screen. I got the image from Linuxiso.org. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

I couldn't get it to work. Not sure what I did wrong. Maybe sometime this weekend cybr if you have time we can get into chat.

I went through everything and the screen flashed like and said system installed. Went back to the Gentoo boot screen. I got the image from Linuxiso.org. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Sorry, been busy. how long did the install take? It would probably take about 2-3 hours if you choose stage 3 and longer if you did a stage 1, all depends on hardware.

At the end, it should have asked to edit grub, did you correct that for the kernel you have and your /hd.

Stage 1 took about 2 seconds before it went back to the Gentoo boot screen. I have really top end hardware in here. :joker:

Anyways gave up on it. Re-installed Ubuntu. Thanks though for responding. I just don't have the time to mess with anything right now and I need something that works. (No cut or pun intended to the Gentoo fans!!! )

Not me, anyway.

The source based distro philosophy is simply flawed, and I wouldn't care less about a graphical installer (ncurses is OK, but anything more than that plain eyecandy with no real functionality.

Remember Gentoo also has binary packages from those who want them. I always use them for the large installs like OpenOffice.

I like Gentoo because of Portage and its community. Its no fluff install - No extras unless you want it. Ive learned more tweaking my Gentoo box than I have with any other Distro. I like the fact of one install and your done FOREVER. That is so long as you maintain your system. :P

btw

You can do darn near a complete install with binaries:

"Project Chinstrap"

http://chinstrap.alternating.net/

Guest Adriano1
one install and your done FOREVER. That is so long as you maintain your system.

This is true of any proper linux distribution and, in fact, any self-respecting OS.