Services to disable in LE2005

ianw1974

If you know what you're doing go ahead and disable the relevant services.

postfix is only relevant for networks/servers and for those that are either paranoid or controls freaks. I do not mean that in a derogatory way, just that it is not standard to the single desktop environment. I not only disable it but uninstall it and I'm a control freak :P

trail -f /path/to/name.log

< root ~ > trail -f /var/log/messages
bash: trail: command not found
< root ~ > tail -f /var/log/messages
Jun  8 02:00:59 localhost CROND[5467]: (root) CMD (nice -n 19 run-parts /etc/cron.hourly) 
Jun  8 02:05:00 localhost CROND[6662]: (mail) CMD (/usr/bin/python -S /usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news) 
Jun  8 02:10:00 localhost CROND[8176]: (mail) CMD (/usr/bin/python -S /usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news) 
Jun  8 02:15:00 localhost CROND[9628]: (mail) CMD (/usr/bin/python -S /usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news) 
Jun  8 02:20:00 localhost CROND[11103]: (mail) CMD (/usr/bin/python -S /usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news) 
Jun  8 02:25:00 localhost CROND[12559]: (mail) CMD (/usr/bin/python -S /usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news) 
Jun  8 02:30:00 localhost CROND[14011]: (mail) CMD (/usr/bin/python -S /usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news) 
Jun  8 02:35:00 localhost CROND[15475]: (mail) CMD (/usr/bin/python -S /usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news) 
Jun  8 02:40:00 localhost CROND[16923]: (mail) CMD (/usr/bin/python -S /usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news) 
Jun  8 02:40:13 localhost su(pam_unix)[16961]: session opened for user root by omar(uid=1000)

:P

i'm kinda with papa... one of the very wonderful things about this board is that newbies and pros alike can come and ask questions (if they need it). so for all the champs out there, it was obvious that the aforementioned list was specifically for that persons computer. e.g., bluetooth gets ditched on mine too (always). but cpufreq stays up because my processor can it.

on the other hand, people who know just enough to get themselves into trouble might do something they're not real sure about. this could cause some unwanted effects. but i would suppose if they screw it up and they don't know what they're doing, they're probably not using it for ultra-necessary purposes. worst-case scenario: reinstall linux.

True, I'd agree just disabling services all over the place could cause problems. However, disabling this list, wouldn't be "dangerous". It wouldn't cause you to lose the system and rebuild it.

Sure, some of them, such as postfix, could cause something to stop working, but easily rectifiable by starting/enabling it again.

I suppose, initially I could have directed this post better, by explaining to use for workstation based systems that wouldn't necessarily use some of the functions, that, for example, postfix offers. As well as cpufreq, will work on systems that allow speed scaling of the processor and such like.

I appreciate all your input, and will definitely make me think a bit more before posting something, that could be taken as "apply this to everything", when in fact, it's not necessarily the case.

hey ian. i hope my post didn't come harsh at all. in a way i was kinda trying to say be cautious, but i was also trying to say, we all had to learn sometime and somehow. props to you for trying to help out.

No, not at all, don't worry :P

We all help each other here, so appreciate the comments, and I can think about it for any other tips I place in (when I come across some :D )

< root ~ > trail -f /var/log/messages
bash: trail: command not found
< root ~ > tail -f /var/log/messages
Jun  8 02:00:59 localhost CROND[5467]: (root) CMD (nice -n 19 run-parts /etc/cron.hourly) 
Jun  8 02:05:00 localhost CROND[6662]: (mail) CMD (/usr/bin/python -S /usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news) 
Jun  8 02:10:00 localhost CROND[8176]: (mail) CMD (/usr/bin/python -S

:P

:lol:

that's what I get for posting that at 2am 10 minutes after talking about a movie tailer :zzz: