Can't install updates or software in 10.1 official

Erk

I have just installed Mandrake official 10.1 for AMD64 as a dual boot on my AMD64 Asus K8V deluxe motherboard based computer . I expected lots of problems with the onboard Via SATA raid hdd but that all hardware works error free.

1) I am utterly unable to update the install via the update DVD.Can someone please

explain in great detail.

2) Also I am unable to install software from a mpk or tarball. I have tried various methods suggested on websites but they never work as the authors suggest .Even simple things like changing/viewing dir don't seem to work for me.

I have to say that as an experienced silver user who has used and programmed in DOS &Win I find these aspects of Linux a particular problem, and if one of you chaps can't

sort me out I will have to go back to Uncle Bill!

3) In win I use a 2 pane tree/list file manager to do most things .I can seem to find one in this setup. Is it possible to set Konqueror to do this ?I can't find how.

1: open the Mandrake Control Center, software, media management and add the DVD (and read the faqs for urpmi. Add the plfs, main and contrib)

2: Mandrake uses rpms (read the faqs for urpmi) No need to build software. If you insist on compiling post the errors.

3: Yes konqueror can do that. Hit F9 :)

Konqueror does have a two pane mode, but you'd better use Krusader or (when in console mode) Midnight Commander.

If your urpmi repositories are set correctly ( say following easyurpmi.zarb.org ) then a simple "urpmi mc krusader" as root should fetch and install them.

1: open the Mandrake Control Center, software, media management and add the DVD (and read the faqs for urpmi. Add the plfs, main and contrib)

2: Mandrake uses rpms (read the faqs for urpmi) No need to build software. If you insist on compiling post the errors.

3: Yes konqueror can do that. Hit F9 :)

Thanks for the reply.

I found software media manager under system - config - packaging - software media manager.

When I open it and press add medium ,ticking removable box(which i guess it is) another window comes up with home and . and \. but I cant work out how to get the dvd drive in here. I tried browse and can't see it there either.

I will try your other recomendations shortly

erk

It's /mnt/cdrom or /mnt/cdromX (where X=1,2,3......) (and it's /(root) and not \ :)

Thanks I'll try that.

I tried RPMDrake to update viia web and it works but says some pack have missing signatures !

Should I install them ?

Also is it possible to find Firefox on the urpmi repositories?

ta again

erk

London UK

I tried RPMDrake to update viia web and it works but says some pack have missing signatures !

Should I install them ?

Should be OK to ignore that message and install anyway. I too, always get that message... cause I am too lazy to set up the keys for my sources.

Should be... look for a Mozilla-Firefox rpm. Tho the source for this one is well document on how to install and will run much better.

Konqueror does have a two pane mode, but you'd better use Krusader or (when in console mode) Midnight Commander.

If your urpmi repositories are set correctly ( say following easyurpmi.zarb.org ) then a simple "urpmi mc krusader" as root should fetch and install them.

I would like to try Krusader but if I follow your instructions it says no file of that name.

How do you configure the urpmi repositories?

I had go with media manager but it said "problem may be bad configuration etc..delete and try again"

Should be... look for a Mozilla-Firefox rpm. Tho the source for this one is well document on how to install and will run much better.

I have the tarballed source for firefox .please explain in considerable detail how to do it.

Bear in mind I am having trouble with even simple things like changing dirs due to my utter ignorance.

Can Firefox compiled as 64bit or shall I just compile it as 32bit?

Open konqueror and move the tarball to your home directory. Right click on the tarball and select "Actions>Extract Here" from the drop down menu. This will decompress the file and create a new directory called "firefox-installer" which contains many files; the original tarball will still be there, however. Open a console and run the following commands:

$ cd firefox-installer

$ ./firefox-installer

A graphical installation screen will pop up similar to a windows install program. Follow the on screen prompts. That's about it; you're done. To launch firefox, go into the firefox-installer directory and and you will notice many new files are there. This is the default installation location for firefox. Click or double click(depending on you have your mouse configured) on the file called "firefox" and firefox will come up. If you get this far, post back and I'll show you how to make a desktop shortcut for firefox.

Note, firefox has a special installer script to make things easy. This is not how a tarball is typically installed.

$ cd firefox-installer

$ ./firefox-installer

In KDE/Konqueror alternatively you can (double)click on the firefox-installer file and it will launch the installation.

note: this is firefox specific, most other programs aren't installed this way (with graphical installer)

Edited by solarian

Open konqueror and move the tarball to your home directory. Right click on the tarball and select "Actions>Extract Here" from the drop down menu. This will decompress the file and create a new directory called "firefox-installer" which contains many files; the original tarball will still be there, however. Open a console and run the following commands:

$ cd firefox-installer

$ ./firefox-installer

A graphical installation screen will pop up similar to a windows install program. Follow the on screen prompts. That's about it; you're done. To launch firefox, go into the firefox-installer directory and and you will notice many new files are there. This is the default installation location for firefox. Click or double click(depending on you have your mouse configured) on the file called "firefox" and firefox will come up. If you get this far, post back and I'll show you how to make a desktop shortcut for firefox.

Note, firefox has a special installer script to make things easy. This is not how a tarball is typically installed.

I decompressed the fiile OK, but when I enter $ cd firefox-installer in a root terminal it says "$ is a bad command!

If I leave off the $ it says cant find dir or file. Help. Erk

$ = you are user not root

cd = go to the directory [firefox-installer]

./ = run the file

think beyond step-by-step, know what you do, then you will succeed

edit: if you are in /home/user (user]$) and firefox-installer folder is in /home/user/software/firefox

then cd software/firefox (i.e. go from where you are to firefox)

or you can always enter the full path -> cd /home/user/software/firefox

Edited by solarian

$ = you are user not root

cd = go to the directory [firefox-installer]

./ = run the file

think beyond step-by-step, know what you do, then you will succeed

edit: if you are in /home/user (user]$) and firefox-installer folder is in /home/user/software/firefox

then cd software/firefox (i.e. go from where you are to firefox)

or you can always enter the full path ->  cd /home/user/software/firefox

These commands did not work! I got so fed up I double clicked on install file in konqueror,which installed it OK. But it did not put any icon in desktop or menu,so i can't get to it.Please explain how.

If this sort of thing was to happen on uncle bill's stuff he'd only be a billionaire!

FF works fine on W2k!

I know what I want to do and that is to get rid of that awful konqueror and replace it with krusader!

I can't see what is going on anywhere. I got konq sort of set up after hours of fiddling ,and when I reboot or use a different icon to start it goes back to default! What sort of !!?? is that

I have the tar! What chance me compiling it in my utter ignorance. Be honest.

Erk

FF works just fine on Linux.. And also those commands do -_-

p.s. so replace it with krusader, nothing is easier

if your urpmi sources are set up through easy-urpmi just type (as root) -> urpmi krusader :juggle:

Edited by solarian