M Audio delta 66 card...

lydian

Hello again :cheeky:

More questions................. I have an MAudio Delta 66 sound card which i'm already using in my windows partition. I installed Mandrake, and it's not in the hardware list, although my Yamaha SW1000XG is. The strange thing is, i've made no attempt to install drivers for it, but Mandrake plays all the system sounds, like the ones you get with error messages (been getting alot of those!!) and when it starts and shuts down..strange.

But when i try and play an audio cd (which tbh i'm still not sure if i'm doing correctly...that :wall: s how much of a newb i am!!) it doesn't play!!!

Any suggestions? Remember i'm a total newb, who's only ever used windows!! I'm not used to typing in code to get stuff workin!!!!!!!

Nice card...

What app are you using to play CDs? If you have mplayer installed, here's a quick way to test what I suspect may be the problem:

mplayer cdda://

if you get audio, it's because the app you're using is trying to do analog playback and you don't have a CD audio cable (or you do, but the mixer is incorrectly setup). If this is the case, it should be an easy fix, just need to know the app you're using.

Thanks for the reply Adamw.............

Right here's the thing... i cant remember which app i was trying to use, one of the standard ones under 'multimedia' in the menu!! Haven't been on Mandarke since last night!!

So you give a suggestion of

mplayer cdda//: where do i type this in? (i told you i was a total newb!!)

I downloaded some drivers for the delta card last night onto a cd..........i'll need help doing that soon to!!

One step at a time though......

Cheers Guys

Edited by lydian

Right.............

Thought i'd have a go at that command you gave me.....................mmmmm.

So i'm doing something wrong. I tried using the shell console (whatever that is!!) and it said

bash: mplayer: command not found

I got the same kind of response when using the 'run command option from the menu!!

Dum de dum!!

So you don't have mplayer installed, no problem :). Go to the 'start' menu, then system, configuration, packaging, install software. Search for 'mplayer' and install it, then try the command again (from a console, you got that part right).

BTW, to make any other CD player work correctly, you just need to find and enable the 'digital extraction' or 'digital playback' (or something like that, depends on the app) option. kscd has one, xmms has one after you install a plugin, gnome-cd doesn't but you can install goobox from contrib. Alternatively you can find a CD audio cable from somewhere, open up your machine and painstakingly connect it from the CD drive to the soundcard, but that's a right pain and besides it'd be a complete waste of the nice DAC on your soundcard, so you don't want to go bothering with that. :)